| landuse = orchard
|Used to mark intentional planting of trees or shrubs maintained for food production|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
An orchard is an intentional planting of trees or shrubs maintained for food production. Orchards comprise fruit or nut-producing trees grown for commercial production. See orchard on Wikipedia
The tag can also apply to a fruit garden, generally synonymous with an orchard, although it is set on a smaller non-commercial scale and may emphasize berry shrubs in preference to fruit trees."
The tag cannot be used for a garden producing vegetables under some fruit trees when the vegetable production is the main use and the trees are too scarce.
The soil of an orchard can be covered with grass or be naked, but generally worked yearly. The production is gathered.
In addition of the trees tag, when the name of the tree is not enough:
As exceptions, some tree plantations can be tagged as orchard in OSM, although they don't produce fruit nor nut: tree plantations of oaks for truffles or cork are examples of such specific uses. This is also the case for oil palm plantations for production of industrial palm oil and biodiesel.
The case of willow plantation for wicker is not fixed. We need more information on cultivation practice. Cultural practices are closed the previous cases. The question is about the gather. Is the whole plant cut or only part (branches)?
The use of the second level tag produce=* is recommended.
- Special species list
- Oaks for truffles
- Oaks for cork
- A tree nursery could not be mapped using this tag.
- The tag cannot be used for a forest with predominance of producing trees. Such forest could be tagged using landuse=forest + wood=coniferous/deciduous/mixed/shrubs + someting saying the production (e.g., produce=*).
More accurate renderers could render, according to what they implement, green symbols on brown background. E.g.,
Suggestions for creating a new pattern
- All the patterns are 24×24 px
- The background color is of landuse=field: #E6DDD0
- The leaves color is of landuse=forest: #B1CB9D
- The fruit shape is about 9 px diameter centered: once at 6px,6px, once at 18px, 18px (top-left : 0px, 0px)
- JOSM style "Landcover tags" for specific rendering in JOSM of some orchards
- See Proposed features/orchard for the approval.
- E.g., Maple for syrup in Canada, Maritime Pine for turpentine in France