| landuse = orchard
|Used to mark intentional planting of trees or shrubs maintained for food production|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
An orchard is an intentional planting of trees or shrubs maintained for food production. Orchards comprise fruit or nut-producing trees grown for commercial production. 
The tag can also apply to a fruit garden, generally synonymous with an orchard, although it is set on a smaller non-commercial scale and may emphasize berry shrubs in preference to fruit trees."
The tag cannot be used for a garden producing vegetables under some fruit trees when the vegetable production is the main use and the trees are too scarce.
The soil of an orchard can be covered with grass or be naked, but generally worked yearly. The production is gathered.
List of trees and berry shrubs
Bellow is a list of some possible species . You can enrich this list by adding local names of the trees. It would be helpfull for no/poor-English speaking mappers. Before adding a tree, you must propose it on the talk page. Note that the plural is used, usualy on the form NNN_trees, NNN_palms or NNN_plants.
As exceptions, some tree plantations can be tagged as orchard in OSM, although they don't produce fruit nor nut: tree plantations of oaks for truffles or cork are examples of such specific uses. This is also the case for oil palm plantations for production of industrial palm oil and biodiesel.
The case of willow plantation for wicker is not fixed. We need more information on cultivation practice. Cultural practices are closed the previous cases. The question is about the gather. Is the whole plant cut or only part (branches)?
The use of the second level tag produce=* is recommended.
- Special species list
- Oaks for truffles
- Oaks for cork
- A tree nursery could not be mapped using this tag.
- The tag cannot be used for a forest with predominance of producing trees. Such forest could be tagged using landuse=forest + wood=coniferous/deciduous/mixed/shrubs + someting saying the production (e.g., produce=*).
- trees=*, optional
- As we are mapping what is on the ground, the value should be the name of the trees and not of the production. E.g.,
- produce=*, optional
- In addition of the trees tag, when the name of the tree is not enough:
- fruit=*, optional
- fruit is a simple tag for the species produced within this orchard. This is a private suggestion by me, added on Oct 25, and not covered by the voting below, but it sounds logical and I wish that some renderers include it into their mapping procedure. landuse=orchard + fruit=apple --FK270673 14:42, 25 October 2009 (UTC)
More accurate renderers could render, according to what they implement, green symbols on brown background. E.g.,
Suggestions for creating a new pattern
- All the patterns are 24×24 px
- The background color is of landuse=field: #E6DDD0
- The leaves color is of landuse=forest: #B1CB9D
- The fruit shape is about 9 px diameter centered: once at 6px,6px, once at 18px, 18px (top-left : 0px, 0px)
- JOSM style "Landcover tags" for specific rendering in JOSM of some orchards
- See Proposed features/orchard for the approval.