WikiProject Haiti/New Mapper
|WikiProject Haiti||Mapping coordination · New mapper · Status · Earthquake maps data · Imagery · Data sources · Tasks and ideas · Street names · Public transport · Weekly meetings · News · Press mentions · Press info|
There are various ways to help with the OpenStreetMap Effort in Haiti.
The easiest way to help is to digitize roads. Most of the dense areas around Port-au-Prince have been covered, but there are portions of the country side still remaining.
Here is 3 minute video on how to get started specifically in Haiti.
Tagging Street Names
Marking Refugee Campsites
With extremely detailed imagery of Port-au-Prince one way you can help is by finding refugee campsites and marking them.
With the higher resolution imagery campsites such as this one can be identified:
Take the time to learn how our editing systems work. Here are some guides to help you.
- Beginners' guide to OpenStreetMap in general
- Potlatch/Primer - Guide to the flash editor "Potlatch" which appears on the Edit tab.
- JOSM/Guide - Guide to the Java OpenStreetMap editor, a desktop app.
- Map Features - List of tags to apply to different features on the map
- Look at the osm-matrix and see where you can find white areas.
Use the JOSM presets for the Haiti Earthquake Response in JOSM.