Bristol Mapping Party 2007
This took place 24/25th February 2007, based in the Watershed, Bristol.
Saturday 24th 2007
- 10am Meet at Watershed (1 Canon's Road, Harbourside, Bristol, BS1 5TX, http://www.watershed.co.uk) for GPS units, project explanation, dividing up the city
- 1:30pm Meet at Watershed to upload GPS data
- 2:30pm Go out for more mapping
- 5:30pm Meet at pub The Ship for drinks and then onward for a meal.
Sunday 25th 2007
- 10:30am Meet at (1 Canon's Road, Harbourside, Bristol, BS1 5TX, http://www.watershed.co.uk) for GPS units, project explanation, dividing up the city
- 1:30pm Meet back at Watershed to upload GPS data
- 2:30pm Go out for more mapping then home
- bristol wireless: http://www.bristolwireless.net/
- Connecting Bristol: http://www.connectingbristol.org
- User:Southglos (a) hello, (b) first mapping event for me, and (c) hey, I've started... :-)
- User:Edward didn't make it, busy looking for a place to live
- User:Bathterror yeah def. coming. Although my new eTrex Legend got nicked, so I'm back to that "yellow thing"... I hope nobody's planning on showing off their kit... I'll sulk!!!
- User:LastGrape possibly if I decide in Jan, I said some stuff on Talk:Bristol
- User:LibbyMiller hope so!
- User:DanBri hope so (but I live there so am optimistic...)
- User:Blackadder expects to be there for the Sunday
- User:woodsy will be available on Sunday
- User:Nickw hopefully
- User:Firefishy Anyone need a lift from London?
- User:Mlpoulter will be available Sunday morning. No kit or transport but like running.
- User:Steve8 will be in Chepstow for weekend with family. Will try to make the Saturday (prob pm only)
GPS base map
There is a Garmin IMG file available for Bristol based on OSM data from 22/02/2007. This was created using mkgmap which is still experimental, but I've had good success using it as a base map for my mapping in Bath.
Please hack the Bristol Press Release and list places it should be sent to below (but don't send it yet - we need to confirm venues).
- Bristol Evening Post (PR sent)
- Venue (PR sent, too late for 22/2 issue)
- Points West (BBC local news) Bristol TV - 0117 973 2211 (called and spoke to Jemma Cooper, sounds interested, PR sent)
- Radio Bristol 0117 974 1111 (called and spoke to Mike Wilkins, PR sent)
- HTV (ITV local news)
- BBC Focus magazine (PR sent)
Local online groups to contact. Please add groups here and contact as appropriate when we have venues confirmed above.
- bristol wireless
- Bristol & Bath LUG - woodsy is member; will contact
- university(ies) geography dept
- underscore (best from Dan or Pete)
- Cube mailing list
- university(ies) computer science dept
- dorkbotbristol (PR sent)
- Connecting Bristol mailing list
- Watershed mailing list
- Bristol & Bath Mac Users' Group (woodsy to forward details to Colin Strickland - member - for circulation)
- Bristol BCS (PR sent, and they emailed their list 22 Feb)