2014 London HOT Congo Mapathon
- photos from the event
It was a pretty incredible day, with lots of mapping progress achieved in the target areas. It was a also a great event for inspiring and teaching. THANKS everyone for coming and helping making it a success.
Old event info
Join us at the 2014 London HOT Congo Mapathon! The Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team are working with MSF to create maps of Democratic Republic of Congo. At this event you can get involved in contributing to OpenStreetMap, creating maps which will help this aid organisation with their life-saving work in the region.
|Date:||Saturday 3rd May|
|Time:||10:30 until 18:00|
|Location:||The Open Data Institute, London, UK.
3rd Floor. 65 Clifton Street. EC2A 4JE (map)
|Sign up:||on eventbrite|
We are open for last minute sign-ups
|Bring:||A laptop & mouse|
- photos from the event
Who should be there?
If you'd like to help people in Congo, using only your laptop, the internet, and a new skill, this event is for you. It's open to anyone. Just bring a laptop
If you're an experienced OpenStreetMapper, we need you! Come along to help teach people the skills.
If you're involved in humanitarian aid, come along to share your experiences and meet the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team.
The event can be fairly free-form, with people diving in and getting started with mapping, with hopefully a good mix of new folks, and experienced OpenStreetMappers to teach them. Anyone interested in other activities such as software development for OpenStreetMap, is welcome to do that at the event too. But we will also do some presentations:
- 10:30 - Arrive
- 11:00 - Intro to OpenStreetMap
- 11:15 - Talk about MSF and Congo mapping work.
- 11:30 - Demonstration of basic mapping
- 11:45 - Everyone get mapping!
- 13:00 - Lunch (Pizza!) - Thanks to The Open Data Institute
- 14:30 - Demo of "field papers" data input
- 18:00 - Everyone to the pub!
Finding the venue
Address: 65 Clifton Street. EC2A 4JE The building is on the corner of Clifton Street and Worship Street. Red brick building looks like this
Enter the downstairs reception. Tell the security man you're going to the ODI, and proceed to the lift. 3rd Floor.
Thanks to the Open Data Institute for providing the lovely venue, and funding the pizzas!
- http://learnosm.org - Guide to OpenStreetMap editing. We'll teach this on the day, or you can learn it beforehand and become a teacher!
- A week in Lubumbashi (DRC) - blog post about collection of data in the field (the Field Papers scans we'll be looking at)
- Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
- London#Events - More London OpenStreetMap events
- MSF Congo Mapping Party, Berlin - A precursor to this event at which the initial street mapping was done