Helsinki Region Transport
Helsinki Region Transport (HSL) is a joint local public transport authority whose member municipalities are Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa, Kauniainen, Kerava, Kirkkonummi, Sipoo, Siuntio and Tuusula. HSL began its operations in 2010. This document is an introduction to how HSL uses and contributes to OpenStreetMap.
HSL uses OSM as the main map data source for all maps - both digital and printed. HSL has created its own visual style for OSM. The OSM based maps are visible eg. on route maps, stop posters and in the journey planner which is a product of the Digitransit-project. HSL edits OSM themselves and encourages the community to do so as well in order to improve the map's accuracy and the journey planner's routing & geocoding services.
Main activities overview
- Edit OSM based on customer feedback, HSL traffic bulletins and information received from member municipalities
- Conduct Data imports when necessary
- Monitor edits and the quality of OSM in general
- Arrange mapathons and other events in order to spread information
So far HSL has been involved in two data imports :
- Digitransit/Helsinki region Swedish road names import (March 2017)
- HSL bus stop import (coming up 2019)
Tools and Data Sources
The team consists of the following active OSM users:
- HSL_HRT (on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.) (supervision and occasional edits)
- HSL_PALAUTE (on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.) (edits based on feedback and traffic bulletins)
- HSL_PALAUTE4 (on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.) (assisting with editing tasks)
Former team members:
- HSL_OSM (on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.) (2016-2017, edited mainly stations and terminals)
- HSL_OSM_Digiroad_import (on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.) (march 2017, Digitransit/Helsinki region Swedish road names import)
- HSL_PALAUTE_2 (on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.) (2017-2018, assisted with editing tasks)
- HSL_PALAUTE3 (on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.) (2018, assisted with editing tasks)
Only HSL_HRT is a direct employee of HSL. All others are acquired resources.
- Edit buildings (rakennusten muokkaus)
- Edit points of interest (POI-kohteiden muokkaus)
- Edit roads (kulkuväylien muokkaus)
- Edit stops (pysäkkien muokkaus)
Information about validation coming up soon.
Events & Presentations
HSL tries to participate in and organize different events and mapathons in order spread information about the mapping project and to improve map quality. This is done in close co-operation with the Finnish Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team. Here's a list of recent events and presentations :
- Digitransit @ FOSS4 Finland 2018, 8.5.2018
- The use of OSM in public transport in Helsinki Finland @ State of the Map, Milan, 28.7.2018
- OpenStreetMap in the public sector - case HSL @ Helsinki Loves Developers, 4.10.2018
- OSM_Finland_Meeting_2016, Helsinki, 23.1.2016
- OSM Digiroad Digitransit -tilaisuus, Helsinki, 18.4.2017 (FB-event)
- Avoin paikkatieto ja OpenStreetMap, Helsinki Loves Developers, 4.10.2018
- OpenStreetMap lähialueen kartoituksessa webinar, 10.4.2019
HSL has also regularly been organising an OSM-mapathon at the yearly finnish GIS-expo (Paikkatietomarkkinat).
- OpenStreetMap for Government (list of governmental organisations using OSM)
- Organised_Editing/Activities (list of organised editing activities)
- Luettelo suomalaisista OpenStreetMapin hyödyntäjistä (list of finnish services using OSM)