Finland:HSL/HSL bus stop import
Please note that this page is still under construction!
HSL bus stop import is an import of Helsinki Regional Public Transportation Authority (HSL) public transportation stop data covering city of Helsinki in Finland. The import is currently (as of November 27th 2018) at the planning stage.
- 1 Goals
- 2 Schedule
- 3 Import Data
- 4 Data Preparation
- 5 Data Merge Workflow
- 6 QA
- 7 See also
- Update the ref=*-tag of local public transportation stops (bus, commuter train, tram and subway stops) in Helsinki area to include the "H" letter in front of the numeral identifier.
- Import attribute data for public transportation stops from HSL data. For example shelter, name.
By the end of year 2018.
Provide links to your sources.
Data source site: http://data-hslhrt.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/c3a01a65b7a0467cba2a14935be8c2a2_0
Data license: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
Type of license (if applicable): CC-BY
Link to permission (if required): https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/7/75/HSL_permission.pdf
OSM attribution (if required): https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors#Helsinki_Regional_Transport_Authority_.2F_Helsingin_Seudun_Liikenne_.28HSL.29
ODbL Compliance verified: yes
Attributes to be imported
- If a stop is sheltered or not sheltered
- Finnish and Swedish name for stop
OSM Data Files
Link to your source data files that you have prepared for the import - e.g. the .osm files you have derived from the data sources.
Initial import is a one-time import with the main purpose to update the existing ref-tags of Helsinki public transportation stops to include the letter H prefix.
JOSM will be used for entering the updated data into the OSM database.
Data Reduction & Simplification
The import will target public transportation stops within the Helsinki area by updating and adding new tags to existing nodes. The import will not add, edit or remove any geometry. Only tags of matching stops are added / updated. OSM data is considered "master data". Attribute data will not be imported in conflicting cases.
Only stops with a matching ref=*-tag will be updated. Following stop types are targeted:
|Commuter train and metro stations||railway=station with public_transport=station||https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1516867775 |
|Metro station platforms||public_transport=platform with railway=platform that are parts of route=subway-relation||https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/489577759|
|Metro station platform stop position||public_transport=stop_position with railway=stop that are part of route=subway-relation||https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/5320327937|
1. Updating the ref-tag
Public transportation stops are first validated against the source dataset. If a stop exists in the HSL source data, it's identifier is matched with the OSM ref-tag.
2. Updating the attributes of stops
Some attribute data is added to each stop after initial matching between the source data set and the existing OSM stops. Following tags are added only if the target stop does not already have them:
- shelter=yes if the stop is protected from the rain by a shelter
- shelter=no if the stop is not protected from the rain by a shelter
- name:fi=* and name:sv=* for Finnish and Swedish name for the stop.
- comment=HSL bus stop import
- source=HSL public transportation stop data
Postgres database is used for storing the HSL public transport stop data. OSM Data is downloaded via the Overpass API. A Python script is used in the transformation.
Data Transformation Results
Post a link to your OSM XML files.
Data Merge Workflow
Describe if you'll be doing this solo or as a team.
List all factors that will be evaluated in the import.
Detail the steps you'll take during the actual import.
Information to include:
- Step by step instructions
- Changeset size policy
- Revert plans
Step by step
- Import HSL stop data from Helsinki to PostGIS-database.
- Query public_transportation stops with ref=*-tags from Helsinki area via Overpass Turbo to .OSM XML-file.
- Python script manipulates the .OSM file returned by Overpass Turbo and matches OSM-stops to HSL-data with ref=* value.
- Script takes into account alterations of the ref=*-value and transforms it into 4 digit form if needed. (for example "70" to "0070")
- Script updates OSM ref=*-value with "H"-prefix.
- Script adds tag shelter=yes or shelter=no if the OSM stop does not already have shelter=*-value *and* HSL data has shelter info.
- Script adds name:fi=* and name:sv=* if the OSM does not already have them.
- . Upload the modified .OSM file to with JOSM.
Identify your approach to conflation here.
Add your QA plan here.
The email to the Imports mailing list was sent on YYYY-MM-DD and can be found in the archives of the mailing list at .