Lansing, Michigan, US
|latitude: 42.73360, longitude: -84.55547|
|Browse map of Lansing 42°44′00.96″ N, 84°33′19.69″ W|
|Use this template for your city|
|OpenStreetMap images (and underlying map data) are freely available under OpenStreetMap License.|
Lansing is the capital city of Michigan.
Thanks to the hard work of many, over the years, the Lansing area is relatively well mapped in various locations. For instance, Michigan State University.
Please join us for an informal meet up, November 19th, 6:30 PM, at Kelly's Irish Pub, Lansing, Michigan.
|Local user group|
|Michigan Capital-Area OSM|
|mailing list – archive|
- Increase OSM awareness, use and editors.
- Map notes
- Glean wiki ideas from the excellent Canada:Ontario:Ottawa Wiki page.
- Add our area's group information to iD.
- Acquire a free phone mount from Mapillary and capture the area in pictures.
- Focus on a specific issue:
- Make OSM the best map for exploring the Lansing River trail by:
- Potentially following the guidelines laid out in the Ottawa Bike Tagging Guide.
- Adding points of interest on and near the trail.
- Adding missing amenities along the trail such as; benches, water, restrooms, picnic tables, shelters and playgrounds.
- Improving routing, by adding connector paths and sidewalks
- The Rivertrail should not be tagged a lcn route.
- Map the amenities along the Middle Grand River Water Trail. TreeStryder has started this effort.
- Prepare and submit our area for review/rating at PlacesForBikes (below).
- Properly map Potter Park Zoo tourism=zoo.
- Help local businesses with:
- Lansing area changes | RSS
- Lansing Nominatim Relation
- OSM Wiki: Good practice | Editing Standards and Conventions | How to map a... | Map Features
- Mapping Guides by Mapbox
Potential Data Sources
|Lansing Open Data||http://data-lansing.opendata.arcgis.com/||CC-BY 4.0||Contact the City for other desired GIS information, GIS@lansingmi.gov.|
|CATA GTFS||Data, Registry||unknown|
|Tri-County Regional Planning Commission (TCRPC)||Interactive Construction Map, 2045 Regional Metropolitan Transportation Plan (MTP)||unknown|
|Delhi Township Parks||http://www.delhitownship.com/parks-parkinfo.htm||unknown|
|OmniPlaces by Cybo||https://omniplaces.cybo.com/||CC BY-SA (Though there was a suspicion the the geocoding may have came from Google. (see thread)|
|Eaton County Open Data Portal||http://data-ecgis.opendata.arcgis.com/||"provided as-is, but the derivative work must contain the following notice:"
|Is this license compatible with OSM? Davenport651 (talk)|
More information about imports:
- Import Guidlines
- OSM Import Toolkit
- Use of CC BY 4.0 licensed data in OpenStreetMap - referenced Waiver Form
- Amphitheater amenity=theatre + theatre:type=amphi
- Disc Golf Course leisure=disc_golf_course + sport=disc_golf
- Little Free Library amenity=public_bookcase + brand=Little Free Library + ref=#
- Food - Food establishmebent tagging is not always clear cut.
- Bar - amenity=cafe Similar to a Pub, but louder. Think sports bar. If they sell food, add cuisine=*.
- Cafe amenity=cafe Consider using Fast Food or Restaurant, if the meals are substantial.
- Fast Food amenity=fast_food Any place meals are ordered and served without waitstaff.
- Restaurant amenity=restaurant Any place meals are ordered and served by waitstaff.
- Pub amenity=pub Similar to a Bar, yet quieter. Think Kelly's. If they sell food, add cuisine=*.
- Pavilion amenity=shelter + shelter_type=picnic_shelter
- Playground leisure=playground
- Sledding hill The run is tagged with Relations/Proposed/Sled, which is often near a peak=*.
- Apartment Complexes = a point or way surrounding the complex with landuse=residential + residential=apartments + name=* Could also add tags like addr:housenumber=* + addr:street=*
- Neighborhood = a point or surrounding way place=neighborhood + name=*
- For use with their OpenTripPlanner app, Portland has mapped all sidewalks using sidewalk=both/left/right/no. See Mapping Sidewalks for Pedestrian Routing at YouTube.
- Consider using the "Sidewalk as a refinement to a highway" method.
- MapBox Sidewalk Map
- If we do want to map sidewalks separate from the road, they should be tagged as follows:
- As Lansing and East Lansing allow bicycles on sidewalks (default for Michigan), most sidewalks would be: highway=footway + footway=sidewalk + foot=designated + bicycle=yes + segregated=no + surface=concrete/asphalt/paved
- Sidewalks in downtown Lansing's "Wheel Control Zone" would be (bicycle=no is implied): highway=footway + footway=sidewalk + foot=designated + surface=concrete/asphalt/paved
- Sidewalks signed for bicycles (along North Creytz Road) would be: highway=footway + footway=sidewalk + foot=designated + bicycle=designated + segregated=no + surface=concrete/asphalt/paved
- Separate multi-use paths (like the Rivertrail): highway=path + bicycle=designated + foot=designated + segregated=no + surface=paved + width=3 Some sections could also use flood_prone=yes.
- Separate paths only for bicycles (around here, only seen at MSU): highway=cycleway + foot=designated + surface=concrete/asphalt/paved/compacted
- Woodland Trails
- View bicycle features on OSM map
- Please try to follow the Bike-Ottawa Tagging Guide when tagging bicycle features.
- CycleStreets is a UK-wide cycle journey planner system, which lets you plan routes from A to B by bike. It is designed by cyclists, for cyclists, and caters for the needs of both confident and less confident cyclists.
- PlacesForBikes is a program that helps quickly build and connect great places to ride. Then we measure their benefits: More people riding more safely makes communities better places to live, work and play.
- Boat launch, place a leisure=slipway point at the waters edge, at the end of a service road.
- Canoe, kayak and other paddlecraft launch sites usually have a way leading to a point on the waters edge, tagged as whitewater=put_in;egress. To designate one as handicap accessible, add the tag wheelchair=yes. Note, canoe=* or paddlecraft=* would make far more sense, but there is currently little support for them yet.
- Portages are ways leading between put_in/egress points, tagged as whitewater=portage_way.
- Low head dams, like in Lansing, are ways with the high side on the left tagged as waterway=weir.
- General hazard = waterway=hazard.
- Fish ladder = waterway=fish_pass.
- Boat/ Canoe/ Kayak rental = amenity=boat_rental + canoe_rental=* + kayak_rental=*.
- Docks = man_made=pier + floating=* + highway=footway + surface=* + area=yes
- Boat store = shop=boat + boat:type=*
- For other canoe, kayak and other paddlecraft tagging see, Whitewater_sports
The primary language and terms of OSM is UK English, which can be confusing. Use the table below to properly categorize streets in the area.
|highway=motorway||Limited access freeway with interchanges.||127, I96, I69|
|highway=trunk||Limited access highway with occasional grade level intersections, or major intercity highway where no motorway exists.||496|
|highway=primary||Primary highway or arterial road (primary non-motorway routes between cities and primary arterial roads).||127, north of St Johns|
|highway=secondary||Secondary highway or arterial road (secondary routes between cities and secondary arterial roads).||M76, M99, M100, Grand River, Saginaw/Oakland, MLK near 496, Cedar/Larch near 496.|
|highway=tertiary||Tertiary route, major street or collector road (tertiary routes between towns, major city streets, and collector roads).||Mt. Hope, Pennsylvania, Waverly, Jolly, Okemos, Willow, Creyts, Meridian|
|highway=unclassified||The least most important through roads in a country's system – i.e. minor roads of a lower classification than tertiary, but which serve a purpose other than access to properties. For instance, minor country roads, often linking villages and hamlets. (The word 'unclassified' is a historical artifact of the UK road system and does not mean that the classification is unknown; you can use highway=road for that).||Washington, College, Farm Lane, Freiermuth, Dobie.|
|highway=residential||Roads which serve as an access to housing, without function of connecting settlements. Often lined with housing.|
|highway=service||For access roads to, or within an industrial park, camp site, business park, car park etc. Can be used in conjunction with service=* to indicate the type of usage and with access=* to indicate who can use it and in what circumstances.|
|Highway link||Short connecting ways, like highway or round-a-bout entrances and exits and "Michigan turns".|
Other Lansing Area Maps
Caution: Do not copy from sources which do not have a compatible copyright license. When in doubt, it is better to gather your own data.
- City of Lansing Map of Neighborhoods
- City of Lansing Planning Office Maps
- Clinton County Assessor Fetch GIS site
- Eaton County Assessor ArcGIS site
- Ingham County Assessor RSGIS site
- City of Lansing Interactive Street Maps
- Mason Hayhoe Riverwalk trail map
- MGROW Middle Grand River Water Trail Map
- TCBA Ride With GPS CrossTown Map