Bolt contributes to OSM by improving the map in various countries. Bolt is added to the list of organised editing activities as well.
Road Network Improvement Projects
From 2020 we continually worked on road network improvements (missing roads, turn restrictions, oneway) in the following countries:-
- Czech Republic
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
Road network Improvements that are addressed include the following:
- Adding missing roads
- Improve routing by adding turn restrictions, vehicle access and oneway tags
- Adding information about POI
- Validate existing tags like- classification - Residential, Trunk, Motorway etc and attributes - Bridge, Tunnel, links etc.
- Cities might be revisited on the basis of new improvements and/or internal requirements.
Below is the detailed process description on how Bolt does mapping:
- Bolt smoothened GPS traces (internal and non-downloadable file)
- Find the best open source imagery properly aligned per GPS traces and ground truth
- Use JOSM with GPS traces and best imagery as reference
- Visually identify missing roads and add them
- Correct classification and attribute errors in existing data
- Run validation and fix all errors and warnings (keep right tool)
- Upload changeset with appropriate comments (also with #bolt so the community knows the edits we did)
Bolt will use various QA and data quality tools such as JOSM validation warnings and errors, as well as best practices on data quality from the OpenStreetMap Wiki page and LearnOSM
For more information see our github: https://github.com/bolteu/osm_mapping
Bolt’s Data Team
We are constantly in contact with the local community through the local talk list, the OSM forum for that country, a local forum (such as a Telegram group or Facebook page) or by reaching out to local active mappers.
When it comes to feedback, we are open to it and will always take it into consideration, as local community knowledge and expertise always precedes.
Please send any general feedback on Bolt’s work on OpenStreetMap to Bolt024.
We follow the workflow shown on the right, in order to reach out to communities.
Here's the list of OSM communities that we have contacted and the phase the communication is in.
|Czech Republic||YES||Talk list||YES||YES|
|Ghana||YES||Talk list / Telegram||YES||YES|
|Hungary||YES||Talk list / Facebook group / Google group||YES||YES|
|Nigeria||YES||Talk list / Facebook||YES||YES|
|Poland||YES||Talk list / OSM Forum||YES||YES|
|Portugal||YES||Talk list / Telegram||YES||YES|
|Saudi Arabia||YES||Local mapper (Khaled AlOtaibi)|
|South Africa||YES||Talk list / Owner of talk list|
|The Netherlands||YES||Talk list|
|United Kingdom||YES||Talk list|
- ↑ We mark Approved=YES, if we got response from the community and there are no objections from the latter.