Pre-SotM Dublin Convoy Gathering
- Fact A: The State Of The Map 2008 will be hosted in Limerick, Ireland.
- Fact B: Flights to Shannon are much more expensive than a flight to Dublin plus a train ticket to Shannon
- Conclusion: There will be lots of people at Dublin the day after and before SotM.
To catch the train to Limerick, take the Redline tram from Abbey Street to Heuston Station, €1.5
Jul 11, 2008. The general idea is to gather people in Dublin so OSMers can travel together (via train, car or otherwise) and chat along the way, after having some beers.
The gathering should not be late, as people will have to catch trains or drive. Lunch time seems a good idea.
People having/needing means of transport to Limerick should list themselves on State Of The Map 2008/transport. Renting a bus might be a good idea if enough people need a lift.
- Several people depart from DUB on the 15th/16th, maybe a post-conference pub meeting could be arranged too. Ivansanchez 13:51, 29 May 2008 (UTC)
Looking at the train schedules, there are direct trains from Dublin to Limerick about every two hours, and this one seems to fit the "after lunch, before dinner" pattern best:
Date: 11/07/2008 Journey Time: 2 hour(s) 26 minutes Number of Changes: 0 Dublin Heuston 15:25 Limerick 17:51
I thus propose that the convoy gather at around 1 PM (13:00).
Incidentally, Irish Rail is advertising advance fares from €27 one-way, but they will only be bookable from 28 days before -- meaning June 13th if I've got my math right. Jpatokal 15:20, 9 June 2008 (UTC)
- I land at 12:15, so I think I'll have to miss the first round :-/ Ivansanchez 17:06, 9 June 2008 (UTC)
- The train seems to be a good option. Don't know how the Irish rail system works. Could everybody book their own ticket and somebody get the reservations for everybody together, so that we can sit together? Joto
- I booked already, but as far as I can tell there are no reserved seats, my ticket just says "B1 Standard". So we can just meet up at the Convoy. Jpatokal 11:26, 4 July 2008 (UTC)
- It seems that there are two cars available (Frederik and Mike Collison), so I think it's gonna be a road trip after all. Ivansanchez
- Fred is only arriving 17:10, which is rather late. When is Mike driving? I'd rather go to Limerick earlier instead of hanging around the airport for the whole day. Joto
- Mike seems to be driving on the Thursday - User_talk:Ojw#SOTM2008_-_Need_lift_to_Limerick.3F
- Looks like plenty of tickets still available on the irish rail site. So is there still a group going by train or coach? DanielG 16:40, 8 July 2008 (UTC)
- I'll try to get that train too Ojw 13:01, 9 July 2008 (UTC)
see State_Of_The_Map_2008/transport#Dublin_to_Limerick_Train for planned train trip.
I plan to spend most of the Monday (14th) in Dublin (I leave the 15th). Anybody up for some beers? Ivansanchez 22:30, 8 July 2008 (UTC)
Who's around on Thursday evening, and where are we meeting for drinks? Ojw 21:31, 6 July 2008 (UTC)
- Looks good. aren't temple bar/trinity college like only a few hundred metres from each other anyway? Ojw 13:44, 9 July 2008 (UTC)
- I'm up for a drink Thursday evening, well unless the Guinness Storehouse finishes me off. Closer to Heuston Station better for me. Firefishy 16:51, 8 July 2008 (UTC)
- OK, Porter house temple bar? Ojw 08:14, 10 July 2008 (UTC)
(Add yourselves here with * ~~~)