|Proposal status:||Proposed (under way)|
- Define app:apple=* and app:google=* as described under #Tagging.
- Deprecate payment:app:android=* in favor of payment:app:google=*.
- Deprecate payment:app:ios=* in favor of payment:app:apple=*.
app:apple=* and app:google=* are currently used a couple of hundred times pretty much exclusively in Sweden to tag apps of pharmacies:
- brand=Apotek Hjärtat has an Android and an iOS app
- brand=Kronans Apotek has an Android and an iOS app
- brand=Apoteket has an Android and an iOS app
Since these apps are brand-wide, they should rather be tagged with brand:app:apple=* and brand:app:google=* instead (just like website=* should only be used for websites specific to a store and brand:website=* should be used for general websites about the brand).
It's worth noting that these tags currently use full URLs as values. This proposal suggests that just the app ids should be tagged instead to make the tags easier to work with for data consumers and more robust (URLs are bound to contain additional parameters like the website language that would result in the same apps being tagged with different values).
payment:app:*=* is currently used to tag that you can pay with a dedicated mobile app (that is not a general payment service, for those there are dedicated payment:*=* tags). The specific tags in use are payment:app:android:*=* and payment:app:ios:*=*, which is problematic because at least on Android there is not just one app store (e.g. there's also F-Droid). This proposal therefore suggests that payment:app:google:*=* and payment:app:apple:*=* (for consistency) should be used instead.
While there are of course more app stores for which tags could be formalized, this proposal intentionally leaves this for the future. This proposal establishes a convention that can easily be extended in the future.
|Apps for all kinds of POI||<purpose>:<app>=yes/no/only||payment:google_pay=*, payment:wechat=*|
|Apps for one specific brand=*||brand:app:<store>=<identifier>||brand:app:google=com.apotekhjartat.mobileclient|
|Apps for one specific POI||app:<store>=<identifier>||app:google=nl.rijksmuseum.mmt|
app:<store>=<identifier> refers to a specific mobile application within a specific app store, e.g:
- app:apple=* is for linking apps in the Apple App Store (equivalent to Wikidata:Property:P3861)
- app:google=* is for linking apps in the Google Play store (equivalent to Wikidata:Property:P3418)
The values of these tags should be just the id of the app, e.g:
- app:apple=621307961 should be tagged for https://apps.apple.com/app/id621307961
- app:google=nl.rijksmuseum.mmt should be tagged for https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.rijksmuseum.mmt
Such tagging is not meant for so-called "mini apps", which don't have to be installed, as they are common in China.
- Pharmacies of brand=Apotek Hjärtat may be tagged with brand:app:apple=1484059209 and brand:app:google=com.apotekhjartat.mobileclient.
- The Rijksmuseum (29989787 29989787) may be tagged with app:apple=621307961 and app:google=nl.rijksmuseum.mmt.
Please comment on the discussion page.