Proposed Features/audio beacon
|Status:||Draft (under way)|
|Definition:||A permanent box that plays audio to help blind people for indoor location or guidance|
An audio beacon is a system that allows blind people to find their way autonomously inside a building.
It is a speaker that plays a pre-recorded audio message when a blind person is around. The blind person carries a wireless remote control that allows the system to plays the audio message. These remote control are often free or very cheap from the public building operator or from the city council.
You can find such an equipment mostly in public places. It is for example very common in French railway stations.
What this is not
Therefore it should not be used to describe an audio beacon that is part of the building itself.
The audio beacon is always used in combination with tactile_paving=* and therefore should be always part of a tactile paved way:
- highway=path + tactile_paving=yes
- highway=pedestrian + tactile_paving=yes
- highway=footway + tactile_paving=yes
- highway=steps + tactile_paving=yes
This is logically and physically consistent: an audio beacon is on a tactile_paving=* way and the fact that it's part of the its way is useful for routing purpose too.
How to map
- audio_beacon=location when broadcasts location messages e.g. "you are at the reception"
- audio_beacon=guidance when broadcasts guidance messages e.g. "turn left to go to the ticket shop, turn right to find the exit"
This tag should only apply to nodes: it's just a small box.
For now it's just a first draft. I will add pictures and provide a tagging example and may add some more precise tags. Comments are very welcome on the discussion page.