|amenity = research_institute|
|A research institute is an establishment endowed for doing research.|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
A research institute, research institution or research centre is an establishment endowed for doing research, i.e. "the systematic investigation into and study of materials and sources in order to establish facts and reach new conclusions" (Oxford dictionary).
Research institutes may specialize in basic research or may be oriented to applied research. The fields comprise natural science research, as well as social sciences, e.g. sociological and historical research.
A research institute is distinct from an amenity=university. While at the latter often research is performed as well, the primary purpose of an university is to educate significant number of students. However, many universities are hosts to research institutes, usually in their own buildings and separate staff, although directors may also be university staff (small examples: former MRC Institute of Hearing Research at Nottingham 52427441 52427441, Sir Peter Mansfield Imaging Centre 23303664 23303664; larger examples: Institute of Genetics & Cancer, Edinburgh 34909245 34909245). Very small examples occupying space in individual university departments or hospital buildings are generally not mapped (although use of node is possible).
How to Map
A campus of a research institute can potentially hold significant technical installations besides typical office buildings.
- a Particle Accelerator,
- a Research reactor (e.g., ILL),
- an Observatory,
- instrument halls (e.g., ILL),
- a test drive area for research on autonomous driving,
- Water basins for marine research
- greenhouses and farmland for agricultural research (e.g., Rothampstead).
- animal breeding rooms and facilities (e.g., Jackson Laboratory, but most biomedical research facilities).
- category 1-4 biohazard rooms and suites (e.g., Wuhan Institute of Virology)
Create an area around the institute and tag it with amenity=research_institute.
Either add a node at the centre or trace the building outline as a closed way . Tag it with amenity=research_institute.
If the building holds offices, add the tag office=research.
Tags to use in combination
- office=research - An office for research and development
- amenity=university - An educational institution designed for instruction, examination, or both, of students in many branches of advanced learning
- landuse=commercial - Commercial zone - predominantly services