|highway = passing_place|
|A passing place on a single track road.|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
Location of a widening on a road allowing oncoming vehicles to pass each other, or allowing slower traffic to be passed if said slower vehicle halts at the passing place. Also known as a turnout.
Normally these are found on a single track road, and are commonly signposted.
How to map
Passing place nodes might exist on any highway which has lanes=* with any value below 2, e.g. 1 or 1.5, likely if frequent HGV traffic is present.
Tags to use in combination
- surface=* - surface of the passing place (if different from the road itself)
- passing_place=* - left, right, or both, from the perspective of the way direction, to describe which side of the way the passing place is on
suggested by User:Chrisana13
Suggested by User:Tysseract: Same as Turning Circle rendering, but only on the side of the road of the road where the passing place is (value of passing_place=*). Defaults to same as turning circle (full circle) if passing_place=both or side is undefined.
- highway=emergency_bay - Emergency bay on a highway
- bus_bay=* - A bay outside the main carriageway for boarding/alighting
- Approved proposal
- "Slow vehicle turnouts", tagging mailing list discussion in 8/2018 for places like this
- overtaking=* - Whether the opposite lane is effectively a passing place