|natural = volcano|
|An opening exposed on the earth's surface where volcanic material is emitted.|
|Rendering in OSM Carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
Ais an opening exposed on the earth's surface where volcanic material is emitted. All volcanoes contain a central vent underlying the summit crater of the volcano. Some volcanos may have more than one vent, fissures and fumeroles.
How to map
Name the volcano using name=* on the node.
Tags used in combination
- volcano:status=* - Status of the Volcano
- volcano:status=active - active
- volcano:status=dormant - dormant (the volcano was active in historical times)
- volcano:status=extinct - extinct (the volcano has not erupted in recorded history) - However, a feature should not be tagged as a volcano if this status lacks Verifiability: there should be a crater, lava plug or other evidence of an extinct volcanic vent.
- volcano:type=* - Volcano type
- These are the three main types. Further information in on Wikipedia
- ele=* - Height of a volcano in meters in relation to the sea level
Note although many volcanoes are mountains and in many maps natural=volcano and natural=peak are rendered in a similar way the location of the main volcanic vent/crater is generally not identical to the highest peak so natural=volcano does not necessarily imply a mountain peak.
The crater rim can be tagged using
- natural=cliff or natural=ridge depending on the shape of the crater plus
- geological=volcanic_caldera_rim to indicate that it is a volcanic crater/caldera rim
natural=volcano name=Anak Krakatau alt_name=Krakatoa volcano:type=stratovolcano volcano:status=active ele=200
- natural=crater - either bomb craters or crater rims, usage seems not well defined
- geological=volcanic* - various volcano related values are proposed
- historic=meteor_crater - undocumented
- natural=caldera - undocumented
- crater=* - undocumented