|water = stream_pool|
|A stream pool: a small but relatively deep collection of fresh water, occurring along a narrow stream|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
The tag water=stream_pool is used to map the water area of a stream pool: a small but relatively deep collection of fresh water, occurring along a narrow stream. Water velocity in the pool is typically much lower than in the stream. Frequently found below a waterfall, where it is also called a "plunge pool". May be used as a "swimming hole".
This tag is used for pools along narrow streams which are otherwise only mapped as a linear way with waterway=stream. For wider rivers (mapped with waterway=river), the areas of the river, including "pools", are typically mapped with waterway=riverbank or water=river instead.
How to map
If the pool has a commonly-used local name, it may be tagged with name=*.
- water=lake - a natural or semi-natural body of relatively still fresh or salt water, localized in a basin that is surrounded by land.
- water=pond - a pond: a body of standing water, man-made in most cases, that is usually smaller than a lake
- water=reservoir - A reservoir or an artificial lake used to store water. Usually formed by a dam over a natural water course
- waterway=riverbank or water=river - The water area of a river, which should contain waterway=river inside.
- Prior discussion on tagging mailing list: https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2020-December/057382.html