Talk:Breweries in the United Kingdom

From OpenStreetMap Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Managed, Tenant, Tied and Free

How should we distinguish between the various types of pub ownership? Below is a first shot Craigloftus 16:56, 6 November 2011 (UTC)

Note, that brewery=* is counter-intuitively defined to be applied to pubs to describe the make/brand of beer on sale.

Open Brewpub Map

We should also have a look at OpenBrewPub Map which is quite similar. It looks to be mapping anything with 'microbrewery=yes', which is a subset of what we are talking of doing.

Overall tag for sector/supply chain

Proposal for industry_sector= alcoholic_beverage is not to distinguish size of brewery but to link all the disparate elements in the supply chain e.g brewery, distillery, pub, off licenceBrianboru 10:29, 7 November 2011 (UTC)

This seems like a category tag? Similar to the idea of a relation? Is there something this describes that isn't possible with a few separate queries? -- Craigloftus 18:30, 8 November 2011 (UTC)

Cut-off between small and large scale producers

This is bound to have a blurred edge but I think we all know a mass-market beer from a craft beer when we see or taste themBrianboru 10:29, 7 November 2011 (UTC)

I am not so sure. There are relatively large producers (beyond micro-brewery) of non-mainstream real ale. I think craft should stick to micro-* producers as defined by their licenses. What I don't know about is how this applies to cider/perry, wine etc. -- Craigloftus 18:30, 8 November 2011 (UTC)
For cider and perry, there is a UK tax exemption for producers who make less than 7,000 litres a year. This would be an appropriate cutoff point. --Richard 12:36, 15 November 2011 (UTC)
Okay. Seems a little unfair on cider producers, breweries can produce 500,000 litres and get half exemption --Craigloftus 17:15, 15 November 2011 (UTC)

Do we tag the building or the area?

I have started producing a list of possible tagging errors, and have seen that in some cases we have a building tagged as a brewery inside a 'landuse=industrial' area which is named after the brewery.

As a matter of principle, should we tag the building or the area? I am starting to think that because the brewery is likely to occupy several buildings, the landuse=industrial area would be the best to tag with the industrial=brewery tag, because they seem to go together better than building=yes, industrial=brewery.

I also think we should name only one of them, again I would suggest the area rather than the building.

Grahamjones 18:47, 13 November 2011 (UTC)

My view is that we should be tagging something other than the building and landuse=*. Specifically, that we should tag an area surrounding all the buildings, yards, roads etc for the brewery site, and within a landuse=industrial area if that is appropriate. I prefer this as landuse=* is "for describing the primary use of areas of land" in a broad brush zoning sort of way, rather that describing specific 'entities', e.g., a corner shop within a residential area doesn't need a tiny little landuse=retail around it. I'm not sure this is the conventional view. Craigloftus 17:05, 14 November 2011 (UTC)


We should tag to distinguish between pubs which do off-sales, and those (the majority and thus the default?) which do not.

We also need to decide how and when to tag/ display off-licences. I'd suggest not all of them (which would include most supermarkets), but certainly those which sell draught ale, and perhaps those which sell specialist bottled beers. I don't expect making that distinction to be easy... Andy Mabbett (User:Pigsonthewing); Andy's talk; Andy's edits 13:19, 15 November 2011 (UTC)

"Those which sell draught ale" Do these exist, and if so, where do I find them?
I can't think of any sensible way to map them. So lets just make stuff up. real_beer=draught and real_beer=bottles? Using real_beer=* as the first introduction of the internationalised real_ale=* ;) Craigloftus 16:26, 15 November 2011 (UTC)
Yes there are pubs which sell cask ale for consumption off site. The only two I know of are the Fat Cat and Fat Cat Brewery Tap in Norwich, which also happen to brew their own beer. See: I think the best tag for an amenity=pub that does this is off_licence=yes. -- Borbus 16:21, 18 November 2011 (UTC)
I was thinking of shop-type off-licences (such as the Ormskirk Barron and Archer Road Beer Shop), which sell draught ale (and this one which does draught cider), rather than pubs that do off-sales, but yes, the latter should be mapped, also. Andy Mabbett (User:Pigsonthewing); Andy's talk; Andy's edits 21:02, 20 November 2011 (UTC)