Would it be possible to implement a somehow i18n-capable description system, or is there already any scheme for tagging multi-language descriptions? I was thinking about something similar to the multi-language descriptions of images in wikimedia commons:
description="en|off-road vehicles only;de|nur für Geländefahrzeuge"
--Ulf Mehlig 13:26, 12 May 2008 (UTC)
- answering myself: Proposed features/Description#Notes: lists this feature in the form of
description:en="off-road vehicles only" description:de="nur für Geländewagen"--Ulf Mehlig 12:33, 15 May 2008 (UTC)
Descriptions for disabled persons
I am using:
- description:en:wheelchair=No steps, but toilet doors are too narrow.
I found mtb:description=* more or less by accident.. are there more such tags? Found whitewater:description.
I think it would make sense to have something like
The wiki is not explicit about what consitutes a good description, and I think there are unwritten rules that should be written. Are descriptions always supposed to be completely objective?
for instance, are the following descriptions ok?
- A beautiful view of Haifa Bay
- A nice, clean picnic site which includes <etc>
Sometimes I also see "user stories" in the past tense e.g.
- It was a nice and quite place, etc etc
- Close call. What's certainly not ok is typical self-advertising ("At XYZ law firm, we pride ourselves in helping clients ...") even if that should occasionally be 100% factual ("Our family-owned business stocks the larges selection of garden gnomes in Texas."), or even if it is cloaked as an independent mapper's opinion. Generally I am much more prepared to accept subjective descriptions when no business angle is involved ("lots of really large rocks here") than when there is ("great drinks at low prices"), but I think that even the business-related bits can be tolerated as long as nobody else disputes them, and, I repeat, only if they aren't put there as advertising. --Woodpeck (talk) 11:06, 28 November 2017 (UTC)
Is there are reason why this cannot be used on relations? I suspect that the only reason that the wiki page indicates otherwise is that the original proposal was written prior to the introduction of relations.
- Thanks, fixed in https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:description&diff=2063140&oldid=2010606 Mateusz Konieczny (talk) 21:49, 20 November 2020 (UTC)
- No problem. I thought it was odd that `description` was prohibited on relations, so I did a little digging. I also fixed it in the WikiData ( https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Item:Q215&oldid=2064281 ). Vorpalblade77-kaart (talk) 14:07, 23 November 2020 (UTC)