Can you name some examples?
Hi, I think that the description would be clearer if you would provide some examples of what you mean by:
- Broadleaved woody vegetation. Mainly angiosperms, but also some conifers. - Which conifers?
- Needleleaved woody vegetation. This category includes all plants with needle-like leaves, even though they are not conifers. - Which non-conifers?
- In the value-page leaf_type=broadleaved you will find as example gingko. In leaf_type=needleleaved you can find as example acacia. The pictures are already included on leaf_type=*. --Rudolf (talk) 16:06, 23 June 2014 (UTC)
what do we do about palms (Arecaceae)
Palm trees do fall among the broadleaved plants, but to me it feels like we are missing specificity. wood=palm and type=palm, "verify it could be tagged with another tag". which one? Mariotomo (talk) 16:27, 16 February 2019 (UTC)
- @Mariotomo: If you want more answers to tagging questions I recommend tagging mailing list. Telegram OSM channel, Discord OSM channel etc may also be useful alternatives if someone wants some answers. OSM Wiki talk pages has relatively low traffic (copy from https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/4256 ). Mateusz Konieczny (talk) 09:13, 2 December 2020 (UTC)
I tried adding a tree with scale-like leaves and wasn't sure how to tag it. Here's an example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File%3A_Sawara.jpg I could just go with needleleaved since they seem to usually start out with needle like leaves from my quick search and look a bit needle-like, but wasn't sure TrekClimbing (talk) 20:37, 3 September 2021 (UTC)
- I think by convention these are tagged with needleleaved. If you compare quite closely related Redwoods, such as Giant Redwood Sequoiadendron giganteus with scale leaves & Coast Redwood (Sequoia sempervirens) or Dawn Redwood (Metasequoia) which have needle leaves similar to Yews. To date I think the only Gymnosperm tagged with broadleaved is Ginkgo. The Auracarias might be another group which it is difficult to call as the scale leaves are rather large. SK53 (talk) 20:09, 10 October 2021 (UTC)
- I marked ones looking like this as needleleaved Mateusz Konieczny (talk) 07:09, 11 October 2021 (UTC)