Proposed move -> Mapping milestones
This move was proposed and is now complete.
There is a need for a clear consise article defining how to use the place tag. Logically this would use this title (in the same way we have articles for Buildings, Highways, Waterways etc. I had been converting this article to that purpose, but it has recently been reverted.
- Well I've reinstated that text where it originally was... on the Key:place page. Is that not the best place for it?
- You beat me to the discussion here. Yes I can see that this page should maybe be re-named to avoid this confusion. (it is unconnected to the Key:place)
- -- Harry Wood 11:46, 4 February 2012 (UTC)
- Fyi, I was in the middle of an edit to the page when you reverted it and had just added a table in the previous 15 mins, so it was a bit a suprise to see it all nuked. Anyway... is this page more appropriately a WikiProject given that it is discussing who mapped what when? As such would WikiProject Places not be the good title for it. Regarding Key:xxx articles and Key:place in particular, I have been systemically working on these to make them consistently into reference articles for the relevant key and have been moving any relate tutorial content into a related 'feature' page which are all designed for the begineer. I started doing this when I realised how often the tutorial content was stopping me rapidly checking a tagging detail and that these were very separate tasks which deserved separate pages. I hope this meets with you approval! PeterIto 11:54, 4 February 2012 (UTC)
- Well it kind of meets with my approval, although I'd tend to expect a few paragraphs of description at the top of the Key:place page. Obviously if we want to write a whole tutorial about it, then that needs to be another page somewhere.
- Oh wait... "meets with your approval" was sarcasm.
- Sorry for editing at the same time as you. Always confusing. But I have to point out that if anyone's been "nuking" anything, that would be this edit in which you blow away a nice carefully written page full of content, which had been in place for years with many prominent incoming links.
- -- Harry Wood 12:49, 4 February 2012 (UTC)
- It wasn't intended as sarcasm Harry, we have done a lot of work together on this wiki and I enjoy working with you. For sure I was a little surprised by the revert, but do now see how we were actually at crossed-purposes. PeterIto 13:17, 4 February 2012 (UTC)
- I do intend to add a short intro on how to map places and what places as an into the key:places article, however I going to get the text sorted on the Places article first and then copy it. There is so much to do on the wiki one has to leave some things half-done while doing a pass across the wiki for consistency in some other way. PeterIto 13:31, 4 February 2012 (UTC)
Anyway yes. This page should probably be renamed. It's actually been named 'Places' ever since ancient times (2006) when it had a bullet-point list of places where we had some map data! But this "Places" title might be expeced by some people to hold content closely related to Key:place.
What would a better title for this page be? "Mapping Places" still presents some confusion with Key:place. This page is sort of a tour of interesting parts of our worldwide mapping, but it's also a history of mapping achievements. It could actually be merged onto the History of OpenStreetMap page perhaps. Or how about we call it "Mapping milestones"
-- Harry Wood 12:49, 4 February 2012 (UTC)
- Mapping milestones sounds just great. As with many such projects we are lousy at curating our history. It would make a good page to link to from a history section of the About page which also needs to be written at some point. Using 'Mapping milestones' also keeps WikiProject Places available for something which I think needs to exist, which is a project to clean-up and develop the addition of good quality comprehensive place tagging within OSM. A good global open gazetteer is sorely needed and OSM is still very flakey in that regard. For instance Greenwich Village in New York was defined as a 'Hamlet' until I changed it to suburb earlier today . Fyi, I am going through all the place related wiki pages giving them a spring clean, and ITO are also going to include more support for improving place tagging in our forthcoming update to ITO Map which will include a Nominatim search, hence my current interest. PeterIto 13:28, 4 February 2012 (UTC)
Links to other sites
In the German translation there is mentioned at the end of the third paragraph (before "London"): "Außerdem sind im City Browser alle Städte und Dörfer in Listen eingeordnet.= Additionally in the City Browser all towns and communities are sorted in lists." This link to the City Browser is working but none of the links I tested on that site was working. Someone who knows more about that site could care. --Rennhenn 16:32, 23 September 2012 (BST)