Rationale / General Remarks
- Inspired from Lulu-Anns This should go to shop I suggest to add rental=yes as secondary tagg for shops, that mainly sells but also rents items. In this case the type of rental is derived from the type of shop. EvanE
This should go to the shop
- It should be shop=doityourself, rental=yes. Lulu-Ann
- This depends on the reality. If it's a doityourself shop, which rents machines, you ar perfectly right. If on the other hand it's mainly a rental station, which only sells consumable material for their rented machines, then rental=machines should fit better. Anyway this difference should be clearly stated in the description of the value. Please add "Use shop=doityourself/hardware + rental=yes for doityourself/hardware shops, that also rents machines." EvanE 19:49, 17 August 2010 (BST)
generic rent=* has no advantage
rent=* might be ok for things you rent, take away, use and bring back (tools, clothes, sporting equipment, DVD, ...).
In OSM vehicles are different from other goods. Car rental is closer to taxi than to DVD rental, Aircraft rental belongs rather to aeroway than to rent.
amenity=car_rental, amenity=bicycle_rental etc. are well established. I cant see any advantage using a generic rent=* for renderers, routers or other application. Seawolff 00:54, 10 October 2010 (BST)
- The advantage is that you don't need to discuss different tags for all kinds of objects that are rentable. --Lulu-Ann 13:01, 12 October 2010 (BST)
what we forgot
- DVDs and media rentals
- rent=book instead of amenity=library?
- what fits better ewer or watering-can? --Jstein 11:03, 17 August 2010 (BST)
- I don't know which one sounds better for native speaker. For non native speaker watering_can is easier to understand. In fact i had to look up ewer in a dictionary. Please use underscore, a hyphen is not used in the (british) english writing. EvanE 18:54, 17 August 2010 (BST)
- Bike is a generic word for two-wheel-in-a-line vehicle und thus is a abbreviation for bicyles and motorbikes. So please use rental=bicycle and rental=motorcycle which is according to the values/keys already in use for these two types of vehicle. EvanE 00:48, 17 August 2010 (BST)
- Boat is pretty generic, there are pedal boats, rowing boats, canoes, small/large sailing boats, small/large motor boats, speed boats or house boats. These type of boats are very different from each other and should be handled seperatly. The value boat might still be neccessary as a generic term for an unknown/unspecified type of boat rental. EvanE 00:48, 17 August 2010 (BST)
- What about using rental=boat and explaining further details e.g. boattype using boat=canoe;paddleboat;...? This would work for bicycles, cars,... , too. The other approach would lead to somthing like Proposed_features/Boat_Rental --!i! 17:32, 9 October 2010 (BST)
- I don't like tags like rental=* because there is no good way for tagging places where you can rent more than one thing. For example boat and diving things. Aighes 23:00, 16 August 2010 (BST)
- I don't like rental=* separated by ";" as well. History of osm has almost proven that such syntax was almost never used, badly supported by editors and need strings spliting efforts by both humans and softwares.
- I prefer a syntaxe like the one proposed on boat rental : Proposed features/Boat Rental sletuffe 13:19, 17 August 2010 (BST)
- Thank you two. I added your solution. --Jstein 10:00, 17 August 2010 (BST)
- I knew about the seperation by ';', but a machine can't read this values. It would be more useful to use a syntaxe like boat rental or amenity=*_rental. Aighes 00:58, 18 August 2010 (BST)
- That is wrong. seperation with ';' is readable by machines.
Add rental for event materials (sound, light, music instruments...)
Using a Namespace
- motorcycle:rental=* yes/no
and so on.
The advantage is that you may also express all other services this shop may offer,
such as car:repair, car:parts ...