The Tasking Manager is the tool for coordination of volunteers and organization of groups to map on OpenStreetMap. It has been initially designed and built by and for the Humanitarian OSM Team (HOT), and is nowadays used by many other communities and organizations. The purpose of the tool is to divide up a mapping job into smaller tasks that can be completed rapidly. It shows which areas need to be mapped and which areas need the mapping validated. This approach facilitates the distribution of tasks to the various mappers. It also allows control of the progress and the homogeneity of the work done (i.e. elements to cover, specific tags to use, etc.).
You can see the tool in action: log into the widely used HOT Tasking Manager and start mapping.
For information on how to use the Tasking Manager please review the manuals on LearnOSM. When creating a project in the Tasking Manager, you may want to have a look on the default instructions for tagging roads, buildings, waterways.
The Tasking Manager is Free and Open Source Software and is continuously maintained and actively further developed by a community. The source code is on Github: https://github.com/hotosm/tasking-manager and inquiries, issues and bugs also managed there.
Operational installations of the Tasking Manager
- Projects worldwide:
- http://tasks.hotosm.org/ – for Humanitarian OSM Team
- http://tasks.teachosm.org/ – for TeachOSM
- http://taches.francophonelibre.org/ – run by Les Libres Géographes, currently focuses mostly on French-speaking Southern countries & the Erasmus+ project euYoutH_OSM (contact @ leslibresgeographes.org for rights to project creation or any info)
- https://osm.earth – for OSM Earth
- Projects in the Americas:
- Projects in Europe:
- http://tasks2.openstreetmap.se/ – for OSM Sweden
- http://tasks.osm.ch/ – public instance operated by SOSM (Switzerland)
- http://ijjarvin.kapsi.fi/osmtm – for OSM Finland
- http://osmit-tm3.wmflabs.org/ – for OSM Italy (operated by Wikimedia Italia)
- http://tareas.openstreetmap.es/ – for OSM Spain
- https://tarefas.openstreetmap.pt/ – for OSM Portugal
- https://tasks.osm-hr.org/ - for OSM Croatia
- Projects in Asia:
- Other purposes: