Proposal for Hiking
- In preparation
Provide a classification scheme for hiking trails.
- Especially for mountain trails, it is crucial to know wether a trail can be done in sneakers or wether you need ice axe and climbing irons.
- Since Google Maps and the like are pretty unusable for hiking (because they denote only very few trails), this is a region where OSM can be of great value soon and for a long time.
- Many mountaineers already utilize GPSs. It would be great to win as many of them as possible as contributers to OSM.
As far as I know, there is no internationally standardized classification schema. Thus, I propose to incorporate the classification of the Swiss Alpine Club (source in german). Not because I am from Switzerland (I am not), but because in my humble opinion this one is easy to understand and well defined.
|T1 "Hiking"||Trail well cleared||Area flat or slightly sloped, no fall hazard||None, orientation unproblematic, no map required|
|T2 "Mountain Hiking"||Trail with continuous line and balanced ascent||Terrain partially steep, fall hazard possible||
|T3 "Demanding Mountain Hiking"||Track mostly visible, exposed sites may be secured with ropes or chains, possible need to use hands for balance||Partly exposed sites with fall hazard, scree, pathless jagged rocks||
|T4 "Alpine Hiking"||Path sometimes invisible, route partly pathless, sometimes need for hand use to get ahead||Terrain quite exposed, precarious grassy acclivities, jagged rocks, facile snow-free glaciers||
|T5 "Demanding alpine hiking"||Often pathless, single plainly climbing up to second grade||Exposed, demanding terrain, jagged rocks, few dangerous glacier and névé||
|T6 "Difficult alpine hiking"||Mostly pathless, climbing up to second grade||Often very exposed, precarious jagged rocks, glacier with danger to slip and fall||
<tag k="highway" v="path"/> <tag k="hiking" v="..."/>
Alternatives for the key
- current proposal: k="hiking"
Alternatives for the value
- current proposal:
- T1: v="yes" (default for all paths without k="hiking")
- T2: v="mountain"
- T3: v="demanding_mountain"
- T4: v="alpine"
- T5: v="demanding_alpine"
- T6: v="difficult_alpine"
- T1/T2/T3/T4/T5/T6 (only with k="sac_scale")
- 1/2/3/4/5/6 (only with k="sac_scale")
Probably same color as present footway, some kind of different patterns
- T1: ..........
- T2: ..... ..... .....
- T3: .... .... .... ....
- T4: ... ... ... ...
- T5: .. .. .. ..
- T6: . . . . . . .
yahou ! I was already planning to do some proposal about hiking, and I am 100% with you on that one.
It should be great to bring people interesting in hiking/mountain bike into finding solution for moutain places.
A comment : for now I am tagging mountain trail as highway=footway, what is the highway=path you are talking about ?
Might be hard, but one day, footways should probably be put out from highway just like cycleways are
Oups, haven't seen the Proposed_features/Hiking proposal
Sletuffe 23:17, 12 March 2008 (UTC)