My name is Leif Rasmussen, and my intentions are to improve OpenStreetMap. If I did anything wrong, please let me know!
My main method of editing OpenStreetMap is through local knowledge, so I accordingly try to only map in areas I have been. I will often bike or run trails with no coverage in OpenStreetMap with a Garmin GPS watch and then use the traces for mapping the trails.
Some data, such as address data, is a huge task to add manually. I therefore have completed several address imports in my area (250,000 total addresses) to help navigation apps and geocoders, without having to do the thousands of hours of manual work that would be needed otherwise.
- Orange County Address Import (complete)
- Chatham County Address Import (complete)
- Durham County Address Import (complete)
- Wake County Address Import (Spring 2019)
In Raleigh North Carolina, past import projects imported almost all buildings, but 30,000 scattered throughout the county were missing in late 2018. Manually finding and adding these sheds and new houses is a slow process, so me and other mappers in the area imported the missing buildings from Open Data Raleigh.
- Wake County Building Import (complete)
- Research Triangle Area Transit Import (planned)