Thanks for adding some more tube stations to the page. One quick thing though - when you add a tube station to the main section, can you also remove it from the "missing" list at the bottom? Gagravarr 11:46, 27 April 2007 (BST)
- Ah, you're doing a big batch. Thought you might be doing just a few and didn't realise. Glad it's sorted :) Gagravarr 12:43, 27 April 2007 (BST)
Hi Morwen. I'd like to be made a wiki 'sysop'. As a wiki 'beaurocrat' you have the power to make that change. Hence I'm asking you.
I have lots of experience working with mediawiki, and with the subtleties of wiki communities, so dont worry I'm not about to wade in and start destroying everything. Some of my ideas are linked off WikiProject_Cleanup/Structure. Most re-organising can be done without the use of sysop powers, but there is a couple of things for which being a sysop would be handy.
-- Harry Wood 10:55, 29 June 2007 (BST)
- I suggest signing up to geograph and posting an invitation on the Discuss board. For much of England and the populated bits of Wales and Scotland, the first phase of geograph - a photo in every sq.km. - is pretty well advanced. People are moving on to "phattening" their local areas by creating a fuller set of images. Many will have GPS units and it would seem a perfect tie-in to mark the tracks up for OSM. That's what I'm doing (although Cambridge has already been pretty well done on both sites so my "local" area isn't all that local!) I can't make sense of freemap - it only seems to want to show me Arundel - do you have to register to use it?--Laverock 11:57, 28 November 2007 (UTC)
This is something I have been wondering about. If you propose bus contraflow, you'll have my vote! We have some of those here in leuven Belgium.
I also wonder how 'only local traffic/uitgezonderd plaatselijk verkeer/excepté circulation locale' should be tagged.
What about dead ends that are only dead ends for cars and not for pedestrians and bicycles?
I guess highway=arcade refers to what the French would call a Galerie. A covered pedestrian street. What about shopping malls? They are very similar to this, but sometimes with several floors.
Polyglot 16:46, 28 November 2007 (UTC)
So you can add another item to your to do list (access=local). I know of at least one arcade in Brussels, but I can't think of any here in Leuven. There is a possible connection for pedestrians through a shopping mall though, that's why I asked. (another one way connection for bicycles through the parking lot underneath as well) And then there are cinemas and some shops. How does one put those on the map? When you'll propose them, you'll have my vote!
I have another issue with bicycle lanes.
Some streets have bicycle lanes on both sides. When they are separated with some bush, I draw them separately from the main highway, no problem there, but when they are not, how does one indicate there are two?
So some other streets only have a bicycle lane on one side. Sometimes this one lane is meant for both directions. I know of at least one other street where it is only for contraflow bicycle traffic.
Polyglot 07:21, 29 November 2007 (UTC)
Change user name request
Hi! I would like to change my username to Stefan, not sure where to ask so I try with you :-). I have that user name on en:wikipedia and commons and since the user here seams to be a unused but registered user I am asking you if Usurpations is allowed on openstreetmap. The username Stefan have no edits, but since I'm new here, I do not know how to see if it have uploaded any tracks. I also do not know how the two user databases are linked, if I can change username I would like to do it on both servers. Stefan8 02:48, 29 November 2007 (UTC)
- We have no policy regarding that on the wiki (or indeed pretty much anything). Um. If i were to do it, it would pretty much be on my own whim. I'll talk to other people and see what they think. Morwen 09:06, 29 November 2007 (UTC)
- I guessed as much, and did not find any 'village pump' to ask at. Please see what other people thinks. Also see the wikipedia link I gave on the 'rules' or precedence for en:wikipedia and I think commons have the same rules. I figured out how to check for tracks and the user have not uploaded any tracks. Stefan8 10:15, 29 November 2007 (UTC)
- Hmmm wiki database fiddling. User:Stefan has made precisely zero contributions Special:Contributions/Stefan, it would be reasonable to allow User:Stephan8 to usurp that user account, and do all further editing under that name. A System Administrator can do this by putting Stephan8's email address into the email field of the Stephan user record. This would allow him to reset the password and take control of that user account. Maybe that can be done somehow within the wiki by a beaurocrat user. Not sure.
- For the contributions attributed to User:Stefan8 to be moved over to User:Stefan, is hardly worth the effort, since Stefan8 has only made a few wiki contributions himself (Special:Contributions/Stefan8) Might as well just leave a lable on Stephan8's user page, pointing out that he's renamed.
- I dont know how we would do equivalent things in the OSM Accounts database. The accounts are not linked in any way. But is Stephan8 asking for that aswell?
- -- Harry Wood 10:36, 29 November 2007 (UTC)
- Hey, what about me? :) --Stefanb 12:19, 29 November 2007 (UTC)
- How about you have a fight between yourselves to determine which one then gets to challenge User:Stefan for the name? Yes, OSM user database and the wiki one aren't linked. Stefan hasn't uploaded any public traces, but may have uploaded private ones/stuff to db. Should imagine changing it would be case of persuading User:TomH or somesuch to run a couple of SQL update commands. Morwen 12:24, 29 November 2007 (UTC)
- I'm happy with my identity, but maybe we should have a Category:Stefan (and similar ones for various Steves and Nicks) if this goes trough. I was also surprised that overtaking someone's existing username was considered at all. Also, updating existing data would skew the history, and probably also cause some issues with planet diffs if there are usernames in them. --Stefanb 12:44, 29 November 2007 (UTC)
- Actually I already created a Steve disambiguation page! :-) -- Harry Wood 13:19, 29 November 2007 (UTC)
- Sigh :-) I have not uploaded any traces, but started editing Singapore map data (only from Yahoo map). But think that the OSM user is just a email adress with a 'alias' so think the alisas can be changed to whatever I want? so probably no issue. If no one objects, I still would like to usurp the username on the wiki, I do not care about the history, it can be keept as is and I can move/copy my user page, also no issue (I still have very few edits on the wiki). Stefan8 13:27, 29 November 2007 (UTC)
- Actually I already created a Steve disambiguation page! :-) -- Harry Wood 13:19, 29 November 2007 (UTC)
- I just had a look and deleted a few, but it takes a while, because each time you have to check if it really should be deleted. I've also just clarified a few points about the procedure on Template:Delete page. Did you have any specific page in mind MMS? -- Harry Wood 00:47, 7 April 2008 (BST)
Sysop request - grin
As above was mentioned: You are visibly a bureaucrat, and I'd like to request a sysop flag, mainly to clean up my testing, but I can be a help for special stuff in mediawiki as well. I'm the founder of Hungarian Wikipedia (and sysop, bureaucrat, etc there), on enWikipedia since long ago, and just have tried to clean up your babel templates (see my almost empty userpage). No sweat if you reject, just the flag occasionally comes handy (like now, deleting some of my preliminary templates and protect the main babel one to prevent having funny results).
I may be more active here than mapping, but if not, I usually map Hungary and nearby regions.
By the way why is <div in the spam blacklist? Is there some pointer to the reasoning? :)
Thanks, --Grin 20:51, 16 August 2008 (UTC)
Localisation Links in the Left Side Bar
Localisation Links in the Left Side Bar Links in the SideBar with 'not EN' National settings links lead to Main_Page, but must lead to xx:Main_Page Do you know way to localising links in SideBar? May be you can made localisable links for all national, non-english users? Also neeed to localise other links in Left Side Bar:
'xx:Main_Page' instead Main_Page 'Special:RecentChanges/xx' instead 'Special:RecentChanges' 'xx:Main_Page&uselang=xx' unstead 'Main_Page' 'yyyyyyyyyyyyy' instead 'Mapping_projects' 'xx:Map_Features&uselang=ru' instead 'Map_Features' 'xx:Help:Contents&uselang=ru' instead 'Help:Contents'
Can you fix it for all National pages? --Calibrator 09:23, 15 October 2009 (UTC)
- Good News! I know way to localisation for Links of LeftSideBar.
- When translating messages with wfMsg(), it is not always clear what should be considered UI messages and what should be content messages. For example, for the English Wikipedia, there should be only one 'mainpage', so when getting the link for 'mainpage', we should treat it as site content and call wfMsgForContent(), but for rendering the text of the link, we call wfMsg(). The code behaves this way by default. However, sites like the Wikimedia Commons do offer different versions of 'mainpage' and the like for different languages. This array provides a way to override the default behavior.
- In accordance with http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgForceUIMsgAsContentMsg, it need change only one string in LocalSettings.php file. Never edit DefaultSettings.php; copy appropriate lines to LocalSettings.php instead and amend them as appropriate.
$wgForceUIMsgAsContentMsg = array();
- change to
$wgForceUIMsgAsContentMsg = array( 'mainpage-url', 'portal-url', 'mapfeatures-url', 'helppage' );
- Can you do it? --Calibrator 17:22, 16 October 2009 (UTC)
- Now enabled wgForceUIMsgAsContentMsg. --Firefishy 18:22, 10 March 2010 (UTC)
Hi Morwen. I'd like to be made a wiki-sysop, because I am Russian localisator of wiki-interface, JOSM, Potlatch and Merkaartor. And I need edit-access to MediaWiki Namespace. Would you give me edit-access to LocalSettings.php/DefaultSettings.php too (See about Localisation Left Side Bar)? You can count my OSM-localisations there:
http://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=Special:Contributions&limit=500&target=Calibrator --Calibrator 06:27, 19 October 2009 (UTC)
Forming a wiki team
Should I be a sysop later? I've made enough edits to pages outside my userspace and I view the maps but don't edit them (although OSM encourages you to edit the map), and this account is over a week old, should I bee a sysop or not? --BrandonSkyPimenta (Talk • Contribs) 03:57, 27 May 2012 (BST)
- Dear god, please no. --Frederik Ramm 18:59, 30 May 2012 (BST)
Cleaning up the wiki
Inactive admin users
Hi Morwen. How's things?
You haven't been very active on the wiki lately, and there's been some discussion of removing inactive admins on the wiki. We haven't developed a process around this (and I hope to avoid doing so in great detail) but I'll probably go ahead and remove admin permissions on the least active people. At the moment this includes you! But I'd also think it would be reasonable to re-add past admins on request too. But let me know what you think. ...If you reply on here I guess you'll be active again :-)