Jump to navigation Jump to search
It has been proposed that this page or section be merged with Potential Datasources. (Discuss)
We can only use WMS sources that are in the public domain, compatibly licensed, or we have permission to use. These include Landsat, USGS High Resolution Orthoimagery (~15cm resolution), National Agriculture Imagery Program (NAIP) 1-meter imagery, and Yahoo! Aerial Imagery.
- NASA Landsat - Public Domain low resolution satellite imagery. Worldwide coverage, but generally too low-res for tracing roads or other such details.
- OpenAerialMap: This is currently offline, but if/when this project is resuscitated it provides open aerial imagery compiled from many sources/imagery donations.
- Grassroots Mapping (very few maps nowadays)
- USGS High Resolution Orthoimagery (~15cm resolution)
- National Agriculture Imagery Program (NAIP) 1-meter imagery
- New Jersey 2007 aerial photography. Only available within and slightly overlapping the borders of New Jersey. There are no restrictions on its use.
- De:DOP Sources - List of DOP sources for Germany and their status of permission to use in OSM
- WikiProject_Italy/PCN: Covering all of Italy with good ortho-rectification and far better resolution than Yahoo (please don't trace from Yahoo in Italy for this reason, as there is a big offset)
- Spain Potential Datasources: covers a potential datasources of Spain
- New Popular Edition - Out-of-copyright maps from 1950s or earlier from http://www.npemap.org.uk/ (UK only). Note that NPEmaps supplied as a WMS have not been as thoroughly rectified as those presented within Potlatch. This means you should not use NPE Maps within JOSM except as a rough guideline. When tracing over NPE maps use Potlatch for better accuracy.
- Provisional/First Edition - Out-of-copyright maps from 1950s or earlier from scans of First Edition Maps.