|It has been proposed that this page or section be merged with Potential Datasources. (Discuss)|
We can only use WMS sources that are in the public domain, compatibly licensed, or we have permission to use. These include Landsat, USGS High Resolution Orthoimagery (~15cm resolution), National Agriculture Imagery Program (NAIP) 1-meter imagery, and Yahoo! Aerial Imagery.
- NASA Landsat - Public Domain low resolution satellite imagery. Worldwide coverage, but generally too low-res for tracing roads or other such details.
- OpenAerialMap: This is currently offline, but if/when this project is resuscitated it provides open aerial imagery compiled from many sources/imagery donations.
- Grassroots Mapping (very few maps nowadays)
- USGS High Resolution Orthoimagery (~15cm resolution)
- National Agriculture Imagery Program (NAIP) 1-meter imagery
- New Jersey 2007 aerial photography. Only available within and slightly overlapping the borders of New Jersey. There are no restrictions on its use.
- De:DOP Sources - List of DOP sources for Germany and their status of permission to use in OSM
- WikiProject_Italy/PCN: Covering all of Italy with good ortho-rectification and far better resolution than Yahoo (please don't trace from Yahoo in Italy for this reason, as there is a big offset)
- Spain Potential Datasources: covers a potential datasources of Spain
- New Popular Edition - Out-of-copyright maps from 1950s or earlier from http://www.npemap.org.uk/ (UK only). Note that NPEmaps supplied as a WMS have not been as thoroughly rectified as those presented within Potlatch. This means you should not use NPE Maps within JOSM except as a rough guideline. When tracing over NPE maps use Potlatch for better accuracy.
- Provisional/First Edition - Out-of-copyright maps from 1950s or earlier from scans of First Edition Maps.