|Part of United States mapping project.|
New Jersey, United States, North America
|latitude: 40.4072, longitude: -74.0341|
|Browse map of New Jersey 40°24′25.92″ N, 74°02′02.76″ W|
|Use this template for your city|
New Jersey is a state in United States, North America at latitude 40°24′25.92″ North, longitude 74°02′02.76″ West.
Things to do
Routes and Relations
Work is underway to create relations for the roadways, transit systems, bicycle paths and railroads (both freight and passenger) throughout the state.
The /Railroads wiki has not yet begun, but it is in an early planning phase. (abandoned?)
Network values for New Jersey routes:
- network=US:NJ for NJ state routes
- network=US:NJ:NJTP for the New Jersey Turnpike
- network=US:NJ:GSP for the Garden State Parkway
- network=US:NJ:ACE for the Atlantic City Expressway
- Atlantic County
- Bergen County
- Burlington County
- Camden County
- Cape May County
- Cumberland County
- Essex County
- Gloucester County
- Hudson County
- Hunterdon County
- Mercer County
- Middlesex County
- Monmouth County
- Morris County
- Ocean County
- Passaic County
- Salem County
- Somerset County
- Sussex County
- Union County
- Warren County
The TIGER import is finished, however there's still significant amount of cleanup left to be done. Review roads, realigning them and updating attributes as needed. Many track roads are incorrectly tagged with highway=residential, especially in the Pinelands, rural areas, and military bases. Replace with highway=track, and it's beneficial to add the tracktype=* too.
Junction and connectivity problems have mostly been fixed over the years.
Note that, unless stated below, tags should not be applied simply based on the administrative level of the road.
- Motorway Controlled access throughout; divided highway; no traffic lights or cross traffic, save for frontage roads. Should include all toll roads.
- Trunk Generally controlled access (interchanges, flyovers, and jughandles), sometimes using traffic circles (e.g. NJ 38, NJ 70, NJ 23, NJ 208). Can be applied to a long two-lane route for at least 30 miles as long as it does not parallel a road built to higher standards (e.g. NJ 49, NJ 31, US 40, US 322, US 206). Freeway-grade portions may be designated as motorways if they meet all requirements.
- Primary Well-traveled roads that run long distances through an urban area or between areas where a trunk road or motorway is not available. May parallel a motorway, but not a trunk road (e.g. US 9 south of Toms River, US 202 in Morris, Passaic, and Bergen Counties). Should include most 500-series county routes and select 600-series roads.
- Secondary State, county, and municipal routes that serve as arterials or carry long distances, or form links between major roads.
- Tertiary All other signed numbered roads and important municipal roads, but not any roads maintained by a homeowner's association, public institution, or business.
- Residential All other complete public access roads.
- Unclassified All public access road stubs and high-traffic roads maintained by a homeowner's association, public institution, or business.
Protected lands and state parks
The Protected Areas Database of the U.S. from the USGS provides protected area boundaries for the entire United States, but it can be downloaded as shapefiles by state. Click to download the NJ PAD-US data (warning, about 200 MB, but this is because the ZIP contains a few shapefiles.) The only one you need is "PADUS2_0Combined_DOD_Fee_Designation_Easement_NJ." The boundaries are often divided by roads. These should be removed as they just needlessly complicate the map. Also, consider removing very small exclaves and inner boundaries, especially if they are not verifiable on the ground.
State parks, forests, and recreation areas
Most should be tagged as a relation with these tags: (few exceptions)
- protect_class=(check IUCN level, most will be 5)
- protection_title=State Park / State Forest / State Preserve / Recreation Area
- operator=New Jersey Division of Parks and Forestry
|Abram S. Hewitt State Forest||8515545 8515545|
|Allaire State Park||8293737 8293737||Boundary and tagging|
|Allamuchy Mountain State Park||144426 144426||Boundary and tagging|
|Atsion Recreation Area||<none>|
|Barnegat Lighthouse State Park||10410758 10410758|
|Bass River State Forest||11023115 11023115|
|Belleplain State Forest||8512443 8512443||Boundary and tagging|
|Brendan T. Byrne State Forest||11018315 11018315|
|Bull's Island Recreation Area||447569655 447569655||Make relation; boundary and tagging|
|Cape May Point State Park||8294644 8294644||Boundary and tagging|
|Cheesequake State Park||8295233 8295233||Boundary and tagging|
|Corson's Inlet State Park||8294672 8294672||Boundary and tagging|
|Delaware and Raritan Canal State Park||592762655 592762655||Make relation; boundary and tagging|
|Double Trouble State Park||11017653 11017653|
|Farny State Park||8472096 8472096||Boundary and tagging|
|Fort Mott State Park||8296002 8296002||Fix relation, maybe replace park tag?|
|Hacklebarney State Park||8296053 8296053||Fix relation, boundary and tagging|
|High Point State Park||144422 144422|
|Hopatcong State Park||8294705 8294705||Fix relation, boundary and tagging|
|Island Beach State Park||8294644 8294644|
|Jenny Jump State Forest||8526989 8526989|
|Kittatinny Valley State Park||11015294 11015294|
|Liberty State Park||8262630 8262630||(note: fits leisure=park tag)|
|Long Pond Ironworks State Park||8472098 8472098|
|Monmouth Battlefield State Park||8479993 8479993||Fix boundary|
|Norvin Green State Forest||11012082 11012082|
|Parvin State Park||8462857 8462857||Fix relation, boundary and tagging|
|Penn State Forest||6656823 6656823|
|Princeton Battlefield State Park||7930158 7930158||Fix tagging|
|Ramapo Mountain State Forest||10928925 10928925|
|Rancocas State Park||142402 142402||Fix boundary and tagging|
|Ringwood State Park||10928924 10928924|
|Round Valley Recreation Area||<none>|
|Spruce Run Recreation Area||<none>|
|Stephens State Park||8480024 8480024||Fix relation, boundary and tagging|
|Stokes State Forest||8512441 8512441|
|Swartswood State Park||8479981 8479981||Fix boundary and tagging|
|Tall Pines State Preserve||11046166 11046166|
|Voorhees State Park||8479989 8479989||Fix boundary and tagging|
|Warren Grove Recreation Area||9166608 9166608||Fix tagging|
|Washington Crossing State Park||8480008 8480008||Fix relation, boundary and tagging|
|Washington Rock State Park||607566426 607566426||(note: fits leisure=park tag)|
|Wawayanda State Park||8481989 8481989|
|Wharton State Forest||11020646 11020646|
|Worthington State Forest||11014693 11014693|
Wildlife Management Areas
There are 122 Wildlife Management Areas in New Jersey. Currently, only a handful are mapped. Use the same tagging, except protect_class=4 and protection_title=Wildlife Management Area
List of New Jersey wildlife management areas on Wikipedia
Division of Fish and Wildlife website with all WMAs and maps
Potential Data Sources provides a list of many layers, some of which could be imported into OSM.
Data sources for the State of New Jersey can be searched via NJGIN. Check the metadata to determine whether or not a data source is licensed appropriately for use in OpenStreetMap.
New Jersey Aerial Photography
The State of New Jersey has statewide aerial photography available through a Web Map Service. There are no restrictions on its use. The most recent data available are from 2015. Even though this data covers the entire state with little temporal variation, aerial photography provided elsewhere is more up-to-date, so it should be used with caution.