|highway = residential|
|Road in a residential area|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
This tag is used for roads accessing or around residential areas but which are not a classified or unclassified highways.
- residential – street or road generally used for local traffic within settlement.
- unclassified – Unclassified roads typically form the lowest form of the interconnecting grid network (below highway=tertiary roads). Roads serving for interconnection of small settlements. Use residential rather than unclassified on the road section if there are traffic restrictions (such as slower speed limits) or traffic calming features near small settlements. (See also highway=unclassified.)
- highway=living_street - a street where pedestrians have priority over cars, children can play on the street, maximum speed is low.
- surface=* - the surface of the street
How to map
|a simple residential way.||a way with
United States – TIGER data import
- Further information: TIGER fixup#Wrong highway classifications
The large scale TIGER data input of United States street data overused the
highway=residential tag. A significant proportion of these roads could be tagged as highway=unclassified, under the guideline mentioned above, or possibly highway=tertiary.