|highway = cycleway|
|For designated cycleways|
|Rendering in OSM Carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
How to map
To tag a cycleway just create the way and tag it with highway=cycleway. If the cycleway has a name then add a name=* tag to it. To indicate that the cycleway is part of a cycle route, see Cycle routes for a full guide.
When not to use
Cycling infrastructure that is an inherent part of a road - particularly "cycle lanes" which are a part of the road - should usually not be tagged as a separate cycleway, but by adding the cycleway=* tag to an existing highway=* instead.
The Bicycle page provides more information about how to tag bicycle-related infrastructure in general.
Foot access on cycleways
Different countries have their own rules as to whether foot access is allowed by default on cycleways. See default access restrictions. In countries where foot access is not allowed by default, use the foot=designated or foot=yes tag when foot access is allowed. In this case, you can add the segregated=* tag to indicate whether or not there is a separate pedestrian lane present.
Ways that are not marked as cycleway by traffic signs (and are therefore open to non-bicycle traffic, e.g., moped or horse) should typically be tagged as highway=path instead of highway=cycleway, but see Duck tagging as well.
- cycleway=* - If the cycleway is mapped as part of another highway (especially bicycle lanes).
- oneway=yes - If cyclists are only allowed to ride in one direction on the cycleway.
- bridge=yes - If the cycleway goes over a street or waterway.
- tunnel=yes - If the cycleway goes below a street or waterway.
|Combined cycle- and footway||highway=cycleway + foot=designated + segregated=no
|One-way cycleway||highway=cycleway + oneway=yes|
Blue dotted lines
Blue dashed lines
- area:highway=cycleway - An area representation of cycleways
- Bicycle - Bicycle and cycleway features
- cycleway=* - Cycle lanes or tracks provided within the carriageway or next to it
- Cycle routes - Route relations for cycle routes
- opencyclemap.org - OSM data cycle map! (also available as a layer on the OSM main map)
- amenity=bicycle_repair_station - A public tool for self-repair of bicycles
- Osm cycleways tagging guide - developped by BikeOttawa on Github