|Part of United States mapping project.|
Washington, D.C., United States, North America
|latitude: 38.8951, longitude: -77.0364|
|Browse map of Washington, D.C. 38°53′42.36″ N, 77°02′11.04″ W|
|Use this template for your city|
Washington, D.C. is a capital city in United States, North America at latitude 38°53′42.36″ North, longitude 77°02′11.04″ West.
Through MappingDC, the local OpenStreetMap community, volunteers are running mapping parties, working with local governments to import data, and collaborating with local enthusiast groups to raise awareness and utilization of OpenStreetMap in and around the DC metro area.
Join us at a Mapping Party, mailing list or Facebook group to find out more.
Meet-ups and Mapping Parties
See MappingDC for all upcoming and past events.
Events are being regularly organized on the mappingdc mailing list. Please subscribe and plan an event!
Mapping parties are events where anyone can come along and join in improving the free world map of everything. We show you how to collect data (survey) and get the data in to OpenStreetMap. Once you put the data in to OpenStreetMap you or anybody around the world, can use the map in interesting and creative ways.
Bring your laptop to participate. You can also use phones or GPS units to collect data. It's fun. It's Free. You can help.
- 2017: Anacostia
- 2016: Columbia Heights and Petworth, Alexandria, cemeteries
- 2015: 14th Street, H Street NE, Minnesota Avenue
- Many "Great Streets" mapping events in 2014 with the District of Columbia Government!
- June 2014 Georgia Avenue Youth Ambassadors Mapping Project
- 2013-03-09 Falls Church mapping party
- 2012-12-01 Hyattsville mapping party
- 2012-07-13 mapping talks at Wikimania
- 2012-07-11 OSM Mapping Party at Wikimania
- 2011-09-03 Chinatown / Penn Quarter; meet at Martin Luther King Jr. DC Public Library, 11 am (until ~3 pm)
- 2010-12-14 7pm at the Capital City Brewing Company
- 2010-06 Manassas Battlefield Park - June 2010
- 2010-01-10 National Mall
- 2009-09-12 National Zoo
- 2009-08-08 Silver Spring, Maryland - 10AM at Mayorga Coffee Factory
- 2009-06-20 HacDC, 1525 Newton St NW, Washington DC 20010
- 2008-11-01 -2008-11-02 
- 2007-09-01 7:00pm
Open Data DC has all kinds of GIS data available for the general public. They are licensed under CC BY 4.0.
The most accurate aerial imagery should be DC From Above Orthoimagery. It is already included in iD.
ESRI and Mapbox both update Washington DC frequently, they could also be used to track new changes.
Sign up to indicate which neighborhoods or areas you're interested in helping map. You can either map individually or get a group together to work in teams. Once there are about 4 or more people, then setup a time and day and meetup to map the neighborhood.
- Note: Below are dated information back to 2010, please read with caution regarding importing progress.
|National Mall and parks|
|Columbia Heights||Robert Soden|
||Brian DeRocher, Katie Bechtold, Kate Chapman, Andrew Turner, --filbertkm (talk)|
|Arlington (general?)||Andrew Turner, --filbertkm (talk), Kate Chapman, Steven Johnson, crysb|
|Fort Myer||--filbertkm (talk)|
|Arlington - South|
|Arlington - Pentagon City / Crystal City|
|Arlington - Rosslyn||
|Fairfax County||Josh Doe, crysb|
|Rock Creek Park||District of Columbia||50%||40%||40%||Rock Creek||James_Hiebert|
- BBBike @ Washington D.C. - a cycle route planner for Washington D.C.
Transit / metro
The local municipalities all have high quality data. We are reaching out to them to get permission to use their data. Add municipalities, points of contact, and your username if you want to take the lead on contacting the GIS departments.
|Municipality||Contact||Ok to Use||Imported||Responsible|
|DC||@kachok||Yes||Stalled (see DC/GIS)||Kate Chapman|
|DC||@mappingdc||Yes||Planning (see DC_Buildings_&_Addresses_Import)||Brian DeRocher|
|Silver Spring||Serge, Tim White|
|Alexandriafirstname.lastname@example.org||yes, see municipality page||Brian DeRocher|
Other projects to work on besides strictly getting data.
- Education Outreach
- OSM in local education
- NOVA GIS Certificate
- Development Projects
- Customize Styling for Transit & DC Issues
Please use the DC talk page to suggest items to add to the map.