Wikidata is a free knowledge base driven by a community and initiated by the Wikimedia Foundation. It aims to support Wikipedia and its sibling projects (such as Wikivoyage) by providing a centralized database.
The Wikidata item representing OpenStreetMap is Q936.
Linking from OSM to Wikidata
- 2013-09-12: There was a proposal to automatically add Wikidata IDs to a number of OSM objects.
- 2016-10-27: Mapbox has proposed a procedure for importing, but has yet to get community feedback on it and thus reverted in the meantime.
- 2016-11-17: There has been a Mapbox inspired mass-edit but has also been put on hold until further community discussion.
wikidata=* IDs can be added by using:
- ID (Mapbox blog post)
- OSM Wikidata Explorer (visualize distance between OSM and Wikidata coordinates)
Linking from Wikidata to OSM
- A very limited way is to link from Wikidata entities to OpenStreetMap relations by using Property P402.
- A list of all currently linked OSM relations can be found here: Special:WhatLinksHere/Property:P402.
- This may be problematic, since OSM's IDs are not stable
OSM Tags and Keys
For a list of OSM tags' and keys' equivalent items in Wikidata, see Property:P1282.
Wikimedia Foundation projects, including each language's Wikipedia, are now displaying maps using OSM data. If an entity in OSM has been tagged with a Wikidata ID, its outline can be highlighted on the map. At the moment, there is no POI support. Only shapes and lines can be shown this way. See .
For example, the Reasonator page:
has links to:
You'll see them just below the map images.
Copying data to Wikidata from OSM (or even from other Wikimedia projects) is not allowed because Wikidata uses the public-domain style Creative Commons CC0 license which does not contain any attribution or share-alike provisions. Conversely, data may be copied from Wikidata without restriction.