- 1 Community Update From 08 November 2010 to 14 November 2010
Community Update From 08 November 2010 to 14 November 2010
Image Of the Week
Typographic maps manually traced from OSM data
Project of The Week : Memorials
November 11 is the 92nd anniversary of the end of the First World War, and is marked in many countries by religious and civil ceremonies to remember those who lost their lives in this and other conflicts. It therefore seems appropriate to have a related project of the week.
- Czech Digital Base of Water Management Data is currently beeing imported into OSM.
- For those who missed it, the Wherecamp 5280 is about to start at denver : http://opengeodata.org/wherecamp5280-november-19th-2010
- SOTM-EU in July 2011 State Of The Map Europe 2011 announced
- Vote for Cyclestreet.net to be a digital hero at 
- user:Computerteddy has a new Garmin map dedicated to car drivers 
- An unified page has been created about accademic research on OSM topics
- Funny_signs for presentations or just to show how funny mapping can be
Proposed Culture Tag
Like every proposal that touches a lot of well used tags, this one has generated a lot of traffic on the mailing list, with questions like : "What is the difference between culture and tourism? Are museum culture or tourism? cinema is an amenity ! ...."
RFC Community Food Growing
Proposed features/Community food growing is a proposal to map land used for community food growing projects.
Historical data experimentation
Someone created an experimental of display of historical data. While he presented it on the mailing list, he relaunch the debate about historical data in OSM.
The amount of work on the api, servers , databases make this unlikely to happened in a near future.
This proposition is here to enable mapping of parking used to left vehicles by people who do carpooling.
Once again, Mapquest has extended their portals with some new features : A new "Edit button" is now shown on top of the map. This button takes you to an installation of Potlatch 2 for editing osm. You can also pick your editor if you prefer to use JOSM. Mapquest also added a "closest" finder to find the closest POI from you point (accessible by right click).
New OSM Search Box ??
There is no week without a proposal or a question about the website / render usability.
This week, someone has analysed the search box on osm. He has also proposed some mockups as alternatives to the current search interface
Once again Big thanks to !i! for his help!