Jump to navigation Jump to search
How to manage to deprecate a tag (and to make it right)? Find it out on this page.
Step by step process
- Find the good candidate (see examples)
- Make a proposal. Make sure to mention the deprecation in the proposal, not only approval of a new tag.
- Have the community to agree by a vote
- Follow-up the deprecation process
- Take actions to help the community deprecate the tag. Suggestionsː
- organise a MapRoulette challenge
Make a proposal for deprecation
There are different cases
- Standard proposal to replace an existing tag with a new one.
- Don't forget to include in the request, not only the validation of the new tag but also the deprecation of the old one(s).
- Proposal to deprecate a tag not officially deprecated, but whom deprecation is largely accepted and under process.
- Sometimes, the formal deprecation was just forgotten in a proposal for a new tag or a new scheme.
- Sometimes, the formal deprecation was voluntarily not requested, in order to give time to the different data consumers to support the new tag or new scheme.
- Include the steps listed in the follow-up table :
- Links to https://taghistory.raifer.tech/#***/old_tag&***/new_tag or https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/XXX in order to show the informal acceptation of the deprecation by the OSM community.
- Documentation to be updated
- List of the projects (editors / renders / routers / search engines / others) that would be impacted if the proposal is approved. This list would be used later as a base for the transition plan's table.
Follow-up the deprecation process
Get the help of the community by adding the dedicated table to the deprecated wiki page.
- Update the deprecated tag wiki page (for every available language)
- Add Template:Deprecated on the english page and on all translations
- Update the approved tag wiki page (for every available language)
- List the deprecated tag on the deprecated features page (for every available language)
- Update every single page mentioning the deprecated tag
- Use this page to check where the page you changed is being linked around the wiki
- Update the deprecated data item (at least for English)
- Update the approved data item (at least for English)
- Send a request for changing the presets of the Editors: main ones (JOSM, iD, Vespucci, etc...) and the specific ones regarding the specific topic of the tag
- Send a request to create validators for the main editors and QA tools (JOSM, iD and Osmose) suggesting to replace or delete the deprecated tag
- Send a request to render (standard tile layer ...) to support the approved tag