|Author:||Martijn van Exel|
|License:||MIT (free of charge)|
Micro-task platform for OpenStreetMap
- Release 3.3.3
- Release 3.3
- Release 3.2
- Release 3.1.1
- Release 3.1
- For older releases see summary release notes on the GitHub repository.
Challenges and Projects
Tasks are divided into Challenges. Anyone can create a Challenge using the built-in Wizard. You can use an Overpass API query as the source of your tasks, or a GeoJSON file you already have.
A Project groups one or more Challenges. A Challenge can be part of more than one Project. Each Project has its own management page where you can see Leaderboards and progress.
The MapRoulette API lets you create and manage Projects and Challenges.
There is API documentation.
As a result of the License Change, a lot of OSM data was deleted or reverted back to a previous version. The first version of MapRoulette was geared towards repairing this damage by identifying all the ways that were gone and inviting users to re-add the removed ways using the standard OSM editing tools.
The remap-a-tron proved to be a very successful tool. Perhaps it could be repurposed to help get other types of map bugs fixed? At State of the Map US 2012 in Portland, the next iteration of what would become MapRoulette was announced: the Un-Zorro-Tron, to help fix Zorro Ways in the United States OSM data.
- The Remap-A-Tron, talk by Martijn van Exel (talk) at SOTM US 2012, Portland, OR
- MapRoulette, One Year Later, talk by Martijn van Exel (talk) at SOTM US 2013, San Francisco, CA.
- Faites Vos Jeux: Announcing MapRoulette Next Generation, talk by Martijn van Exel (talk) at SOTM US 2014, Washington DC
- MapRoulette 2: Electric Bugalloo, talk by Serge Wroclawski at SotM-EU 2014 in Karlsruhe
- MapRoulette, workshop by Martijn van Exel (talk) at SOTM EU 2014, Karlsruhe, Germany
- MapRoulette at SOTM US 2019
The code, issues, and documentation are available on GitHub.
Fix Tasks in the Challenges listed below between September 7 and September 30 (inclusive)! There's prizes for the top fixers. Participants with U.S address only.
- Impossible angles in SE Asia: https://maproulette.org/browse/challenges/2656
- Unmapped towns in South Africa: https://maproulette.org/browse/challenges/4196
- Minnesota Missing Named Roads: https://maproulette.org/browse/challenges/4222
- Minnesota Nameless Roads: https://maproulette.org/browse/challenges/8056
- Add proper brand:wikidata tag to McDonald's: https://maproulette.org/browse/challenges/8301
- Brazil Sink Islands & Impossible Routing: https://maproulette.org/browse/challenges/8655
- Connect the villages and towns in India: https://maproulette.org/browse/challenges/8929
- Embassies missing representing countries: https://maproulette.org/browse/challenges/2791
- Buildings with name=edificio: https://maproulette.org/browse/challenges/9139
Follow @maproulette on Twitter for updates and news on future competitions!