Humanitarian OSM Team/Haiti Strategy And Proposal/Missions commonalities
This cycle of OpenStreetMap missions is to support the use of OpenStreetMap on the ground in Haiti within groups of UN and international responders, the Haitian government, and Haitian civil society to make sure OpenStreetMap stays relevant and useful into the recovery, reconstruction, and, most crucially, long term development of Haiti.
The first mission planned 21-March to 10-April will provide direct on the ground support through training, surveying and advocacy work for using and contributing to OpenStreetMap and play a direct coordination role between the response community in Haiti and the remote OpenStreetMap community.
Cycle of missions
Scope and activities
- Introduction to HOT Field work in Haiti - English version
- Introduction to HOT Field work in Haiti - French version
- Surveying with GPS/Walking Papers/Questionnaires
- Ensuring an efficient use of OSM resources
- with GPS receivers,
- within classic GIS Map production set up,
- with OSM map rendering tools for map production
- Connecting with OSM, and Haiti OSM community and resources
- United Nations and local/ international NGOs field workers from the UN Clusters via primarily MapAction and UNOCHA and networking work towards UN and NGO responding communities.
- National/local authorities workers via networking work Haitian Government from World Bank mission, regular contacts with UN/NGOs working with Haitian Government, French Academics (AUF&IRD) and IGN - (National Mapping Agency)
- NGOs, groups, communities and individuals interested in the grass root mapping component of the OSM-HOT strategy.
Mapping Parties/ Training sessions Formal workshops and ad-hoc informal trainings with individuals and groups addressed towards both trainers, and trainees directly, when feasible in separate forums.
- Workshop/ ad hoc training session plans
- To trainers
- Workshop for GISers (trainers) part of the GIS sub-cluster (UN & NGOs)
- Workshop for GISers (trainers) Haitian National/ Local authorities (CNIGS)
- If feasible, common workshop involving UN, NGOs & Haitian GISers.
- To trainees
- Thematic workshops for GISers and non GISers from thematic clusters and National/ Local Haitian authorities;
- List of UN clusters concerned: Agriculture, Camp Coordination / Management, Early Recovery, Education, Emergency Telecommunications, Food, Health, Logistics, Nutrition, Protection, Child Protection, Gender-Based Violence, Shelter and Non-Food Items, Water Sanitation and Hygiene.
- Priority based on field requirements, established contacts and on-going work: Health, IDPs camps (Shelter, Camp Coordination & Management), Logistics and Water and Sanitation.
Organizing when possible specific data collection missions to fill gaps in areas that have not been adequately covered by remote mapping and existing data sets, particularly outside the capital
Grounding the OSM project in Haiti
- Building an Haitian OSM community articulating individuals and groups from internationals, nationals and civil society in Port Au Prince and in main Haitian cities
Preparing the ground for community mapping projects a la Map Kibera with Haitian civil society
- feasibility study
- situation assessment
- inventory of existing resources (data, contacts etc)
- networking and outreaching to Haitian civil society.
- Data modeling work related to the field roll out of the Humaninatarian Data Model (HDM).
- Ad hoc support work to fill gaps in current response where OSM is part of the solution.
- Liaison between OSM remote community and local needs.
The HOT Package is comprehensive of inter alia
- Humanitarian Data Model (HDM)
- HDM-aligned questionnaires to conduct field surveys
- HDM-aligned JOSM presets to guide editing sessions
- Humanitarian field guide series to surveying, editing and using osm in GIS.