|Indicates if an object offers internet access. The access can be with given computers or WLAN access. The only limitation is that the internet access has to be public.|
|Used on these elements|
|Documented values: 5|
|Tools for this tag|
This tag is for indication that a map entity such as a building, a shop, restaurant, etc. offers internet access to the public, either as a paid service or even for free.
For a place whose principal role is providing internet services to the public, usually for a fee based on the time used, use amenity=internet_cafe in addition to this tag.
As an example, camp sites offering wireless internet access should be tagged primarily as tourism=camp_site and additionally internet_access=wlan.
What should be tagged
This tag could be used for:
- Shops, cafes, restaurants or pubs which offer internet as service
- Libraries which offer internet access
- Hotels, hostels, campsites or other accommodation with internet
- Open spaces like squares or parks with public WLAN hotspots.
This tag must be used for:
- Internet cafes
What should not be tagged
Places where internet access is only for members or private persons, and not offered to the general public. This includes your personal home DSL, LAN, WLAN, any internal networks of companies, and internet access only for students (e.g., WLAN hotspots on the campus), because these are not open to the general public.
For discussion see Rejected features/WiFi Zone/Hotspot
How to map
- Add the tag internet_access=* with one of the values from the list below to a feature such as a shop, restaurant, library or other location.
- If known, add the additional tag internet_access:fee=yes/no/customers
- internet_access=wlan - a WLAN wireless internet hotspot, also know as wireless, wifi or Wi-Fi.
- internet_access=no - if no internet access is offered by a feature where it would normally be expected
- internet_access=yes - if there is public internet access, but the particular kind is unknown (the much less used tag internet_access=public has the same meaning)
- internet_access=terminal - like internet cafe or library where the computer is provided.
- internet_access=service - if you want to mention that there are people who help you in case of problems. Should be used only in special cases like internet cafes or LAN gaming centres.
- internet_access=wired - a place where you can plug in your laptop with a wired ethernet connection.
- internet_access:fee=* Whether a fee is charged for using Internet access (Approved tag)
- internet_access:fee=yes A fee is charged for using Internet access
- internet_access:fee=no Access is free for all
- internet_access:fee=customers Only customers or guests of the operating facility are allowed free access
- Sometimes mappers note the exact fee to pay here, or that the first 30 minutes of use is free, but this should be cleaned up. A possible solution is to use internet_access:fee:amount=* for the amount/rate of fee and internet_access:description=* for further usage instructions.
- internet_access:operator=* (Approved tag) - specifies the operator of the internet service.
The FON or Freifunk projects are a special case. Because most there is no primary usage of the fon provider. Tagging suggestion is: internet_access=wlan + internet_access:operator=FON or internet_access:operator=Freifunk.
- internet_access:ssid=* (In use) - should have the network name ("ssid") as the value