|Yes or no, to indicate if money is charged to use this facility.|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
The fee tag specifies the nature of any fee for entry, access, service, use, or otherwise. Examples include car parking (amenity=parking), toilets (amenity=toilets), and tourist attractions and historic buildings (e.g., historic=castle).
|yes||A fee is generally charged.|
|no||No fee is charged.|
|donation||No fee is required, but voluntary contributions are accepted.|
It is not possible to distinguish between other possible values as surveyed.
Surveying a more precise value is important.
fee=* should contain a (default) value that applies when no condition does.
- fee=yes + fee:conditional=no @ customers - to mark that fee is waived for customers
- fee=no + fee:conditional=yes @ 08:00-08:20 - to mark something as free, except between 8:00 and 8:20
- fee=yes + fee:conditional=no @ We - paid, but free on Wednesdays
- fee=no + fee:conditional=yes @ stay > 2 hours - parking with stay up to two hours free
- fee=yes + fee:conditional=no @ stay < 2 hours - also, parking with stay up to two hours free (difference is what will be a default value, used by data consumers not supporting conditional restrictions)
- fee=yes + fee:conditional=no @ age < 12 - to mark something as free for children under the age of 12.
- fee=no + fee:conditional=yes @ stay > 2 hours AND Mo-Fr 07:00-19:00); yes @ stay > 2 hours AND Sa 07:00-13:00 - No fee, except if staying for more than 2 hours on Mon-Fri from 7:00-19:00 or on Sat from 07:00-13:00.
fee:disabled=* is also available to directly specify whether a fee applies to handicapped users; e.g., where a fee is waived for them.
Common tagging mistakes
Time when a fee is charged as a value of fee=*
Using opening_hours=*-style date/time ranges as a value of fee=* to specify when a fee is applicable is a somewhat common mistake. When a fee is only applicable some of the time, use fee:conditional=*, as noted above.
Fee amount as a value of fee=*
Membership fees or longer-term contracts
This key is mainly intended for amenities which charge per use, and where the fee can be paid on the spot when using the facility, such as:
- entry fees to museums or parks
- time-based fees for vehicle parking
- paid public toilets
However, there are also amenities which charge fees as part of a membership or longer-term contract - such as sports clubs, self-storage facilities, fitness clubs, allotment gardens etc. Technically, the membership charge is also a "fee". However, these amenities should not be tagged with fee=yes, as visitors cannot just walk in and pay.
- payment=* - to indicate the precise method of payment.
- toll=* - to indicate that a road, bridge, ferry, or other way is tolled - that you must pay to use it. This key is used instead of fee=*.
- charge=* - to indicate which fee is charged (other undocumented keys for the same purpose are fee:amount=* and fee:price=*)