|Yes or no, to indicate if money is charged to use this facility.|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
The fee tag is for specifying whether a fee is usually charged for a service, or for access. Examples include car parking (amenity=parking) or toilets (amenity=toilets) or tourist attractions and historic buildings (e.g., historic=castle).
The value of this tag is usually either yes or no:
|yes||A fee is (usually) charged.|
|no||No fee is charged.|
However, other values are sometimes used:
|unknown||It is not known whether a fee is charged. (Mappers are encouraged to find out whether a fee is applicable or not.)|
|donation||A voluntary donation is asked, but not required.|
- fee=yes + fee:conditional=no @ customers - to mark that fee is waived for customers
- fee=no + fee:conditional=yes @ (08:00-08:20) - to mark something as free, except between 8:00 and 8:20
- fee=no + fee:conditional=yes @ (stay > 2 hours) - parking with stay up to two hours free
- fee=yes + fee:conditional=no @ (stay < 2 hours) - also, parking with stay up to two hours free (difference is what will be a default value, used by data consumers not supporting conditional restrictions)
- fee=yes + fee:conditional=no @ (age < 12) - to mark something as free for children under the age of 12.
Whether a fee applies for handicapped users as well can be indicated using fee:disabled=*, in case this differs from fee=*. This is usually used for occasions where there is a fee, but it is waived for handicapped users.
Common tagging mistakes
Times when a fee is charged as a value of fee=*
Example: fee=Mo-Fr 08:00-17:00
Using opening_hours=*-style date/time ranges as a value of fee=* to specify when a fee is applicable is a somewhat common mistake. When a fee is only applicable some of the time, use fee:conditional=*, as noted above.
Having the actual fee as a value of fee=*
- payment=* to indicate the precise method of payment.
- toll=* to indicate that a road, bridge, ferry, or other way is tolled - that you must pay to use it. This key is used instead of fee=*.
- charge=* to indicate which fee is charged (other undocumented keys for the same purpose are fee:amount=* and fee:price=*)