|Indicates the languages offered or taught at a point of interest.|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
Keys beginning with language:*=* indicate the languages offered or taught at a point of interest. The specific degree of language usage may vary from one type of facility to another and from one region to another. These keys are more commonly used in multilingual regions where, for instance, language support may be posted on a shop window.
These keys are commonly used to indicate, for example:
- The medium of instruction at an amenity=school, amenity=kindergarten, or amenity=childcare (may be part of a language immersion program)
- The languages taught at a amenity=language_school
- Language service offered to customers of various kinds of retail establishments, such as amenity=restaurant, shop=*, tourism=hotel, and office=insurance
- The languages in which services are conducted at an amenity=place_of_worship
- The user interface language options offered by an amenity=atm, amenity=vending_machine, or amenity=payment_terminal
- language:language code=main/yes - where language code is a two-letter ISO 639-1 code or three-letter ISO 639-2 code
- main - main language offered/taught
- yes - additional languages offered/taught
- language:de=main - The main language taught in this language school is German.
- language:en=yes - English is taught in this language school.
proposed extension of tagging
Note also a proposed upgrade in tag use: Proposed features/Language Purpose for more precise specifications of language use.
Below are the most common language:*=* subkeys as of April 2021; see the full and continuously updated list at taginfo. In general, mainstream local language support is not usually tagged explicitly on a POI, so the numbers below largely represent exceptional cases:
A school in the United States that conducts classes in English (en) and Spanish (es)
A language immersion school in the United States that conducts classes primarily in spoken Mandarin and written Chinese (cmn, zh)
A church in the United States that conducts services in English (en) and Lithuanian (lt)