|barrier = wall|
|A freestanding structure, designed to restrict or prevent movement across a boundary, typically made from solid brick, concrete or rocks, and almost always built so that it is opaque to vision.|
|Rendering in openstreetmap-carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
The tag barrier=wall is used to map a wall: a freestanding structure, designed to restrict or prevent movement across a boundary, typically made from solid brick, concrete or rocks, and almost always built so that it is opaque (cannot be seen through).
How to map
- height=* is used to specify how tall the wall is.
- width=* is used to specify the thickness of the wall. Alternatively, use est_width=* to specify approximately how thick the wall is.
- material=* is used to define the material the wall is constructed of: stone, brick, concrete, wood, etc.
- colour=* is used to define the colour of the wall
Mapping as an area
There are situations a wall is on top of a building or another wall - e.g. noise protection wall on top of a building. Then use key min_height=* for the start height of the wall.
The tag wall=* can be used to provide more detailed information about the wall. The value should indicate the principle feature of the wall, which might be the type, purpose, or building material of the wall, as follows:
|wall||noise_barrier||- a wall which protects against noise on one of its sides|
|wall||jersey_barrier||barrier=jersey_barrier.. There's also the much more common (as of 2019-02)|
|wall||seawall||- a wall built to protect land along the coast from erosion and flooding from the sea|
|wall||flood_wall||- a wall built to protect land from flooding along a river or lake|
|wall||castle_wall||barrier=city_wall- also see|
Construction Material / Method - also see material=*
|wall||dry_stone||Awall is constructed from stones without mortar to bind them together.|
|wall||stone||material=stone and wall=stone_wall- a wall constructed from stones. See also|
|wall||brick||material=brick- a wall constructed from bricks. See also|
|wall||concrete||Concrete wall, constructed from concrete poured in place, or as material=concretewall panels. See also|
|wall||concrete_block||wall=cement_blockwall, constructed from cement concrete blocks and mortar - also see|
|wall||flint||cobbled wall, may have brick courses and copings.|
|wall||gabion||wall made from cages or boxes filled with stones, concrete, or sometimes sand and soil.|
|wall||pise||wall made from compacted soil, chalk or clay.|
The construction material can also be tagged with material=*, if necessary, using values like
stone, brick, concrete, or wood.
- barrier=city_wall - town or city defensive walls
- barrier=retaining_wall - a retaining wall, where the ground level is higher on one side
- barrier=fence - for lighter barriers, possibly see-through and made of wood or wire.
- barrier=gate - a section in the wall which can be opened
- barrier=entrance - an open gap in the wall