Proposal talk:Flight School

From OpenStreetMap Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Type of Training


International Standard?

I propose a tagging with flight_school=private/Commercial/Transport/Military. --LordOfMaps (talk) 15:46, 9 May 2014 (UTC)
But many offer both private and commercial training as far as I can see. And flight_school=private,commercial is not really what we want --AndiG88 (talk) 20:45, 11 May 2014 (UTC)
Maybe, it should be checked first, whether there is an international standard for types of training or not. --LordOfMaps (talk) 06:05, 12 May 2014 (UTC)

A category is defined as "a broad classification of aircraft," which a pilot may be rated for: 
  Powered parachute
A class is defined as "a classification of aircraft within a category having similar operating characteristics":
  Free balloon

I'm not really sure how usefull this would be, but I think some general distinction should be made.

I think that the a class/type subtag is to specific. flight_school=Private/Commercial/Transport/Militarty should be enough. --LordOfMaps (talk) 15:46, 9 May 2014 (UTC)
Then there would be bascially no difference between and --AndiG88 (talk) 20:45, 11 May 2014 (UTC)

Flight Simulator

flight_school:flight_simulator=yes/no or flight_simulator=yes/no

Although this might be to general and not offer enough information.

I prefer flight_school:flight_simulator=yes/no. --LordOfMaps (talk) 15:46, 9 May 2014 (UTC)

On relation?

Applies to [...] relation? I can imagine only a usage on nodes and areas. --LordOfMaps (talk) 15:48, 9 May 2014 (UTC)

The thought was that there are probably multiple training facilities, maybe even dedicated hangars on the airport which could be put in such a realtion. --AndiG88 (talk) 20:45, 11 May 2014 (UTC)
OK, that sounds reasonable. --LordOfMaps (talk) 05:47, 12 May 2014 (UTC)

Type of amenity=college?

The page amenity=college defines a college, in British English, as "an institute of Further Eductation".

Further Education includes "awards, certificates, diplomas and other vocational, competency-based qualifications" and "intermediate, advanced or follow-up qualification necessary to progress into HE (University), or to begin a specific career path" - for example "land-based colleges (specializing in agriculture, horticulture); Specialist designated colleges; Art, design and performing art colleges"

Can we check if flight schools are considered a type of Further Education college in Britain? --Jeisenbe (talk) 01:09, 5 July 2019 (UTC)

I am not convinced that it would better in any way. AFAIK flying schools typically teach just operation of aircraft. Mateusz Konieczny (talk) 07:50, 2 August 2019 (UTC)

Amenity vs Office

Most of them are actually offices (of a company) attaching to an airport/airfield.

Tagging them directly as an amenity may not be a good idea.

--CBRS (talk) 23:35, 10 April 2022 (UTC)

I assume you should use this for the entire campus including teaching facilities and supporting areas. Use office=* for the school's office proper. --- Kovposch (talk) 10:20, 11 April 2022 (UTC)