The purpose of this key is to mark protected areas of important social interest.
See below for the values of the protected_culture key:
|community_live||Community live: religious, sacred areas, associative locations, recreation|
|cultural_values|| Cultural values (cultural assets and - efforts, districts historical heritage, monument conservation):|
protection of sites with special architecture or historic interest, designed and created intentionally by man: urban layout,
|economical||Protection in favor of economics: special economic zones, ...|
|political|| Political protection: |
reservation / indigenous area / aborigine: self-governing communities with land + indigenous
state-boundaries: in OSM existent, see "boundary=administrative". ...
|military|| Military areas: Military refuges, test area, |
with regard to contents its right, but in OSM it's already in use with the key military=*.
|historic||Historic: For colonial-stuff and protectorates. Otherwise like erstwhile-, former- or ancient-protected areas please better use cultural_values.|
|public_land||Public land: Public ground owned by Government entity (see discussion: It is no guaranty for protection, is an owner-info!).|
|yes||One out of the above categories without further specification or not yet classified.|
|protection_title=*||wildlife sanctuary, zapovedniki, Nationalpark, special protected area, world heritage convention, aesthetic forest, heritage river, indian reserve, ...|| Title or type of protection, not the proper name. The national destination, the formal title or type of protection.
Important! You should add this. Finally there will be a collection of terms. The individual labelling, e.g. the phillipine "Nipas Category".
Terminologies in various countries
The table below provides guidance on the use of protected_culture in different countries. If your country is undocumented then refer to protectedplanet.net of the WDPA where you can look it up by its proper name. If there are no results, ask the appropriate (government) administration, use the talk page or your local mailing list for discussion and then add it below. Try to add and "harmonise" your country's protection system to the table.
|Australia||monument conservation||Indigenous Protected Areas||other social|
|Brazil||Indigenous Protected Areas||other social, ...|
|Colombia||-||-||-||Indigenous Protected Areas and Afro Colombian Protected Areas: Resguardos indígenas y Tierras de Comunidades Negras||-||-||-||-|
|Germany||Denkmalschutz||-||weitere sozial bestimmte|
|United States||monument conservation||Indigenous Protected Areas||BLM, State Land Trust, Federal Public lands. Not Forest service.||other social|
- IUCN Protected Areas Categories System
- protectedplanet.net WDPA's list of protected sites.
- World Database on Protected Areas (WDPA) offers a foundation dataset for conservation decision making.
- Wetlands of International Importance ("Ramsar")
- UNESCO-MAB Biosphere Reserve
- UNESCO-liste of MAB-sites
- World Heritage Convention.
- ASEAN Heritage Biodiversity Information ...
- Barcelona Convention Mediterranean Action Plan
- GIS Viewer Natura 2000 european Natura 2000-network areas
- Water Conservation Districts
- Planning Notes for Soil Protection
- Wikipedia, Soil_conservation
There are governments, keeping a habitat system:
- Interpretation Manual of European Union Habitats priority habitat types of the "Annex I".
- Lower saxonys key (DE), for area-wide and selective mapping.
- Prior protected habitats, a mapping-example (pdf, 2 MB)
- Cultural landscape element infos by a planing-bureau.