|barrier = embankment|
|Using this tag is discouraged, use man_made=embankment instead.|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
This feature has been labeled as deprecated. The recommended replacement is: tag:man_made=embankment.
barrier=embankment is sometimes used to map a slope or steep incline. This tag was not documented prior to 4/2019. Most features with this tag were imported into the database in 2011, before man_made=embankment was an established tag.
- man_made=embankment - more commonly used
- embankment=* - used to indicate a raised road or other linear feature with embankments on both sides
- cutting=* - the opposite situation with slopes towards the feature in question
- natural=cliff - for vertical or near vertical drops of natural origin
- barrier=retaining_wall - for a artificial vertical or near vertical built wall with a function similar to man_made=embankment
- man_made=dyke - for an embankment (or levee) to redirect or prevent flooding by a river, lake or sea
- natural=earth_bank - earth bank is an abrupt change in ground level which can be clearly distinguished from its surroundings
- natural=gully - small scale cut in relief created by water erosion