Jump to navigation Jump to search
|basin = evaporation|
|A basin used to evaporate water.|
|Rendering in OSM Carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
An evaporation pond or evaporation basin is a basin containing water containing a dissolved substance (precipitate). These basins are used for the following purposes:
- Evaporating the water in order to harvest the precipitate
- Evaporating the water at contaminated sites remove the water from hazardous waste, which greatly reduces its weight and volume and allows the waste to be more easily transported, treated and stored.
- Evaporating the precipitation that falls on a contaminated site. The contaminants that the water picks up on the ground are left behind after it evaporates. This prevents the contamination from spreading further down the watershed.
- Preventing pesticides, fertilizers and salts from agricultural wastewater from contaminating the water bodies they would flow into.
How to map
- man_made=tailings_pond - a pond used to remediate liquid waste from a mining operation.
- landuse=salt_pond - a pond used to extract salt from saltwater.