|building = church|
|A building that was built as a church.|
|Rendering in OSM Carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
A building that was built as a church. It includes cases where building is no longer used for original purpose.
Note that some places regularly used as a place of Christian worship were not constructed as churches and may not qualify for this tag; for example, an adapted residential building used as a meeting place for a congregation.
How to map
Tags to use in combination
- name=* – The primary name: in general, the most prominent signposted name or the most common name in the local language(s).
- amenity=place_of_worship (if still used as place of worship)
- building:use=* – useful to record current building use, especially if it is no longer religious
- religion=* – Defines the specific religion.
- denomination=* – Defines the subspecies of a specific religion.
- building:architecture=* – Architectural style of a building
- Address – "addr" is the prefix for several addr:* keys to describe addresses.
- opening_hours=* – Describes when something is open or closed. There is a specific standard format for this data.
- wheelchair=* – Indicate if a special place can be used with wheelchairs.
- website=* – Specifying the link to the official website for a feature.
Rendering in OSM Carto
- building=cathedral – A building that was built as a cathedral.
- building=chapel – Building built as chapel.
- building=mosque – A building that was built as a mosque.
- landuse=religious – An area used for religious purposes
- amenity=place_of_worship – A place where religious services are conducted
- man_made=tower + tower:type=bell_tower – Bell tower or church tower
- Church – page about tagging repurposed church buildings and places of worship in buildings not constructed as churches