|emergency = lifeguard|
|A place where a lifeguard is on duty|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
A(sometimes also known as a lifesaver ) is a rescuer who ensures the safety, and carries out rescues, of swimmers, surfers, and other water sports participants, in locations such as a swimming pool, water park, beach, river or lake.
They may also, particularly on inland waterways, sometimes be involved in the rescue of sailors from small vessels in distress.
Lifeguards may be paid professionals or volunteers only. This tag does not distinguish between them.
This tag is to indicate the permanent, or semi-permanent locations (e.g. structure is removed over winter, but is replaced in the same position the following summer), such as lifeguard towers or buildings, that lifeguards will be found while on duty.
It is not to be used map non-permanent locations (e.g. where lifeguards may be found on a beach, but be in a different spot each day). For those situations, see lifeguard=yes.
How to map
For water recreation features such as a beach, swimming pool or water park, where there will be a lifeguard on duty who may not be in a fixed location, see lifeguard=yes.
For lifeguard administration / storage offices / buildings, where it is unlikely that an actual lifeguard will be available, consider tagging as office=lifeguard only, without the emergency=lifeguard tag included.
Tags used in combination
- name=* - the common name of the feature e.g. North Burleigh Beach Lifeguard Tower
- alt_name=* - e.g. Lifeguard Tower 20
- operator=* - e.g. Gold Coast City Lifeguard Service (spelt in full)
- opening_hours=* - These opening hours should reflect the actual times that a lifeguard may be found on duty, either daily e.g. Mo-Su 08:00-17:00, or the time of year that they are there eg Oct-Apr Sa-Su 06:00-17:00. If the lifeguards are on duty for part of the year only, consider also tagging them with seasonal=* (e.g. yes or summer)
|Variant 1||Variant 2||Variant 3|
- lifeguard=* - For water recreation features such as a beach, swimming pool or water park, where there will be a lifeguard on duty who may not be in a fixed location.