|historic = cemetery|
|A cemetery with historic significance.|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
This page was created because the tag is in use but not documented. You can help OpenStreetMap by expanding it!
Please keep in mind that there could be similar tags and / or that this tag might be deprecated.
Always be careful when using Undocumented Tags!
Some historic cemeteries continue to operate as cemeteries for new burials. Others may have stopped accepting new burials and are preserved only as a historical site. Life cycle prefixes could be used where appropriate.
As of 8 February 2021 there were 1609 matches for the combination of tagging landuse=cemetery + historic=* in Taginfo. historic=cemetery has been used 475 times (445 on ways, 22 on nodes and 8 on relations), 405 uses in combination with landuse=cemetery, mainly in Europe (notably Poland and Germany). Also in North America (mainly the United States) and Australia.
This pattern of use suggests that mappers have used this tag as a complementary tag to landuse=cemetery to indicate that this feature is a historic cemetery. The alternative for mapping a historic cemetery would be landuse=cemetery + historic=yes. For some mappers, this tagging has the disadvantage of being unspecific.
The value in the tag historic=* is used to characterise the type of feature according to historic=*. This value should be widely recognised and are in common use. The historic=cemetery tagging is a better alternative to historic=yes for some mappers in line with this approach.
However, this way of mapping historic features does not convince everyone. Other mappers consider that the "historic" category should be only a property of a previously mapped feature. From the perspective of the data consumer, they find it preferable to add only historic=yes to the previously existing feature avoiding specific complementary tagging to indicate the "historic" property.
How to map
Tags to use in combination
- landuse=cemetery - to map the place or the outline of the area used as a cemetery.
- name=* - the name of the cemetery.
- religion=* - the religion to which the cemetery is dedicated, if applicable.
- denomination=* - the denomination of the specified religion, if applicable. For example, protestant, roman_catholic, etc.
- start_date=* - inauguration date.
- wikidata=* - the ID of the specific Wikidata item about the cemetery (if any).
- heritage=* - if the cemetery is recognized as being of historic value by an authority.