|This page describes a namespace rather than a simple tag.|
The lifecycle/status namespace prefix can be used to tag objects with a status such as proposed, planned, construction, disused, abandoned, demolished, historic. See also Comparison of life cycle concepts.
- For example: disused:amenity=pub
- Also: construction:amenity=parking, proposed:lanes=2, abandoned:railway=narrow_gauge
By using this key prefix it is ensured that current or legacy applications are not confused by objects which do not exist or are not fully functional and only software aware of this tagging concept will evaluate those.
See also date namespace for a related proposal to include dates for historic tags, for example name:-1965=Kings Place. The two possibilities can be combined to some extent.
No longer existing objects may be marked as existing it other sources. For example demolished building may be visible on aerial images, official maps may include now dried up wetland etc. Using lifecycle prefixes it is possible to clearly mark that specific object must not be remapped without proper verification.
Historic objects with no relevance to current state of an object generally do not belong in OpenStreetMap
How to tag
Add a namespace prefix (for example "disused:") to all keys which are no longer relevant to the current state of an object. You should treat all the tags on an object as a set of facts about the object, and prefix the keys of those facts which are no longer true as a result of the disuse. For example, a concrete parking area which is no longer used for parking cars but which still carries a name sign might be tagged as
which makes it unavailable to programs which search parking, and unlikely to be displayed as parking in any default rendering. The name is still relevant, and will still be searchable. If the area is opened up again, it's a simple matter to undo the prefixing.
Common lifecycle prefixes in chronological order
Stages of birth
Stages of decay
- Not currently available for use, but could be reinstated easily
- usage: ~120,000 in taginfo as of 09/2019
- Still visible but fallen into serious disrepair and which could only be put back into operation with considerable effort
- usage: ~210,000 in taginfo as of 09/2019
- Not what it used to be (might not exist anymore)
- usage: ~35,000 in taginfo as of 09/2019
Less common prefix values
Stages of decay
- Object is in ruins, same or similar as ruins: - see above.
- usage: ~280 in taginfo as of 09/2019
- Similar to demolished:, but destructed by any cause other than intentional demolition.
- usage: ~950 in taginfo as of 09/2019
- Duplicate of disused:, used for closed businesses (e.g. shops, restaurants, offices, banks)
- usage: ~600 in taginfo as of 09/2019
- Misleading because of inconsistent use. While someone tried to establish the concept of "a previously valid characteristic for an object that has different properties today", this never actually got accepted and this prefix is used for various other things in an inconsistent manner. Most used as historic:civilization=*, historic:period=*, historic:railway=* and historic:some railway property, further as historic:year:* (similar to the date namespace) and some other ways - Not recommended for lifecycle tagging. Please document whatever you use or find
- usage: 7,500 in taginfo as of 09/2019
- possible duplicate of was.
- usage: ~300 in taginfo as of 09/2019
- Not to be confused with. Incorrect tags or nonexistent features that are likely to be re-added by an armchair mapper, import conflation tool, editor, or other automated system, due to outdated imagery, inaccurate import sources, or other sources of confusion.
- usage: ~17,000 in taginfo as of 09/2019
|disused:shop=yes||A closed-down shop of some sort. If the type of shop it used to be is known, substitute the appropriate value from Key:shop for "yes".|
disused:operator=The Oxford Pub Company
name=Fox & Hounds
|Boarded-up disused public house. It no longer has an operator as such - no beer is sold - but the name is still useful for navigation.|
|Historic railway line. Tracks not degraded but overgrown.|
|Railway line with electrification works in progress.|
|disused:leisure=pitch||Disused pitch, now somewhat overgrown.|
|objects that were were before open pit mine are not tagged||Open pit mine. Forest that used to be here must not be tagged in any way, as no trace of it remains.|
|railway is not tagged||Place where railway existed in the past. It must not be tagged in any way, as no trace of it remains.|
- proposed=* - The proposed tag may be used for any road, railway or route that is in planning phase. In combination with highway=proposed, railway=proposed, aeroway=proposed, etc...
- construction=* - This key is used together with the higher-level tags building/highway/railway/landuse=construction to describe the type of the feature which is currently under construction. Required combination with building=construction, highway=construction, landuse=construction, railway=construction, etc...
- start_date=* date of when a feature opened or construction of the feature finished.
- end_date=* date of when a feature is planned to go out of use, or when it went out of service.