|leisure = pitch|
|An area designed for practising a particular sport, normally designated with appropriate markings.|
|Rendering in OSM Carto|
|Rendering in OSM Carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
The tag leisure=pitch is used to map a : an area designed for practising a particular sport, normally designated with appropriate markings. Examples include tennis courts, basketball courts, ball parks, and riding arenas.
Pitches may be contained within a larger landuse=recreation_ground, leisure=park, leisure=sports_centre, leisure=horse_riding, a specific sports field (see the discussion/talk page for discussion on how to tag a larger sports field) or a leisure=sports_hall. A facility with seating for large numbers of spectators should be tagged with leisure=stadium retaining leisure=pitch for the playing surface itself. A golf course should be tagged as leisure=golf_course rather than as a pitch.
How to map
- If there is some physical outline of the pitch or painted line markings, draw an area around it and add leisure=pitch and proper sport=* tag.
- If a pitch has no clear landcover outline, draw a node in its middle, then add leisure=pitch and the proper sport=* tag.
- If a pitch is not in use anymore, its state can be described with the Lifecycle prefix, e.g. disused:leisure=pitch if it is currently not ready to be used, but could be reinstated easily; or abandoned:leisure=pitch when it cannot be used without extensive repairs, etc.
Tags to use in combination
(pitch made for 2 or more disciplines)
Use of semi-colon value separator to list multiple values - preferable if a single pitch is setup for some specific sports
Single basketball hoop with pitch:
Single basketball hoop without pitch:
(here outdoor dressage)
Table tennis table
Large chess board
Covered and indoor pitches
Covered and indoor pitches should be mapped as separate node or area objects inside the building outline. This makes it clear which tags belong to the pitch and which to the building (what may affect the rendering). A covered pitch should additionally be tagged with covered=yes, and an indoor pitch with indoor=yes and possibly level=*.
Indoor tennis court
Pitches by layout
- leisure=sports_centre - A sports centre is a distinct facility where sports take place within an enclosed area.
- leisure=sports_hall - A sufficiently large single room that is suitable for practising sports indoors and does not have a "centre" character.
- leisure=stadium - A major sports facility with substantial tiered seating.
- leisure=horse_riding - Equestrian facility covering a larger area, which may include riding arenas (as pitches) as well as riding halls (as sports_hall's).
- Proposal leisure=practice_pitch
- Proposed_features/pitch_markings if you want to describe the pitch markings