|leisure = hackerspace|
|A place where people with common interests (science, technology, ...) meet.|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
A hackerspace, hackspace (from Hacker and Space) is a community run place where people interested in (digital) technology, software, open source, electronic art,... meet, socialise and collaborate. Hackerspaces normally have a fixed clubroom which is opened regularly (e.g. every week) and are typically filled with ledstrips, computer hardware in a relaxed atmosphere.
A makerspace or fablab is a subtype which is focused on creating real-world artefacts, often with 3D-printers, lasercutters and electronics - often offering these devices as service to the members.
In some cases, it is difficult to distinguish between a makerspace and a hackerspace as there often is overlap in both.
How to Map
You can often find Club-Mate in hackerspaces, so drink:club-mate=yes is often an usual combination.
If the hackerspace also offers repair services, consider the tag repair=*.
Maps showing hackerspaces
- MapComplete has an editable overview of hackerspaces
- Hackerspaces.org has an overview too (not OSM based)
- OsmAnd has a category for hackerspaces
- club=linux for a Linux User Group. While most hackerspace members are usually open source and linux users, a hackerspace is broader. A Linux User Group is focused on using linux and programs on linux only.
- amenity=internet_cafe for a place whose principal role is providing internet services.
- office=coworking for an office where people can rent a desk and go to work
- amenity=coworking_space for a place where people can go to work (not limited to offices)
- repair=assisted_self_service — places where collaborative group of people propose to anyone to come and repair together