|man_made = works|
|A factory or industrial production plant|
|Rendering in OSM Carto|
|Group: Man made|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
The term works is used to denote an industrial production plant, also known as a factory.
How to Map
Draw a polygon around the whole area of the production site and tag accordingly.
When increasing the level of detail, it is also possible to use this tag for individual production units inside a factory, e.g. where separate components are produced at a car plant, thus justifying separate tagging from the main area.
Note that historically this tag has been used for buildings where industrial production activity takes place. This article was edited after a discussion on the Tagging mailing list, to shift the meaning from a production facility building, to an area that may include multiple such buildings and related infrastructure. More than half of all usage cases for the tag are combined with building=* (as of April 2021).
If you want to specify what is produced you can use the key product=*.
- product=food (use a more specific key like the ones below when possible)
- product=dairy when output is dairy products
- product=beer when output is beer
- product=sugar when output is sugar products
- product=meat when output is meat products
- product=bakery_products when output is fresh bakery goods
- product=packaging when output is packaging materials
- product=machinery when output is machinery
- product=furniture when output is furniture
- product=steel for factories that produce metal
- product=electronics when output is electronic products
- car assembly plant
- aluminium extrusion plant
- furniture plant
- oil refinery
- plastic recycling facility
- Proposed_features/Industrial Plant as the proposal for 'works'
- landuse=industrial+industrial=* for all areas with an industrial landuse (see the tag definition, includes logistics and storage). Can generally be added to all man_made=works.
- product=* for the stuff that is produced